cgmo-webcgm message

Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] RE: Review first chapters

Thanks to Dieter for a thorough review.  There are lots of useful
corrections in here, and some issues that I can see.  Sorry, my time has
been completely absorbed elsewhere and I haven't dug into these
deeply.  I'll start to process them seriously after tomorrow (Wed) telecon,
and will break out and send substantive issues to the list, for one-by-one
processing.

One comment that caught my attention was part of Dieter's #14:  "If we
strike the behaviors from the EBNF, a WebCGM 1.0 file can not be a valid
WebCGM 2.0 file IMHO."  This refers to our three old object behaviors,
view_context, highlight, highlight_all.

This is a direct consequence of our definition of "deprecate":  a
deprecated feature is prohibited for 2.0 generators and 2.0 content, but
2.0 interpreters (viewers) that support 1.0 must support the feature.  See
A.2.  We reviewed this definition (borrowed from MathML).  No one commented.

It also affects these things:

** multi-picture
** continued APS
** symbol libraries

These latter were deprecated in 1.0 2nd Release and are (currently) removed
altogether in 2.0.  And these things:

** viewport PARAM
** some compression types of TILE & BITONAL
** the 3 old object behaviors

These latter are deprecated in 2.0 and may be removed altogether in the future.

It is a tricky issue, how to deprecate and remove something from the
standard.  No matter how you do it, at some point valid Version n content
cannot be valid Version n+1 content.  The only alternative is to leave
everything in the standard forever, as valid content.

Back to the EBNF ... it defines the version 2.0 language.  If the 3 obj.
behaviors are deprecated, according to our definition of deprecated, they
are not part of the 2.0 language.

If anyone has an alternative, coherent, actionable way to define
deprecation and handle things that we thing should be removed from the
standard, please present it.

Regards,
-Lofton.