cgmo-webcgm message

Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] Did we miss something?

Hi Benoit,

I went looking for some background and history on the "a la Duluc"
scenario.  I couldn't find it in mail archives -- is there an email thread
or a telecon/meeting minutes?

Any case, the requirements document [1] only indicates that the MUST
requirements are for "associate XML data using the 'id' or 'name'".  One
could conceivably read the documentation scenario into some of the other
wording, but it is not directly flagged and supported.

[1]
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/14243/WebCGM_20_Requirements.html#XCF

It *is* addressed in the CS text of WebCGM 2.0 [2]:

[2]
http://docs.oasis-open.org/webcgm/v2.0/WebCGM20-Concepts.html#webcgm-concepts-XCF

Quoting that text: "could be used as a partial inventory of a WebCGM
illustration by enumerating the Application Structures IDs, types and
(most) attributes. (Note that it is out-of-scope of this version of WebCGM
XCF to fully mirror the hierarchical structure of a CGM graphic (see
"Structure overview" in the XCF chapter.)"

I note the use of "partial inventory" and "most attributes".  To me, this
means that we did not intend that the "documentation case" be fully
supported (although the end of the quoted comment is mostly about hierarchy).

I do remember discussion about this sometime in the past (maybe Munich?),
and I remember having to edit that section of text [2] to waffle-word the
XCF support for inventory or documentation of the metafile contents.

Hopefully this helps -- while it doesn't definitively answer "did we
miss?", it seems to point in the direction that this (full inventory or
documentation) was not determined to be a MUST support usage scenario .

Regards,
-Lofton.