ciq message

Subject: RE: [ciq] CIQ TC members, Please cast your vote

SUPPORT FOR DTD AND/OR W3C SCHEMA IN CIQ STANDARDS

Your Name: Nikolaj Nyholm, Ascio Technologies

1. We will support both DTD and W3C schema for future versions
   of CIQ Standards:  NO
2. We will support only W3C Schema for future versions
   of CIQ Standards:  YES
3. We will support only DTD for future versions
   of CIQ Standards:  NO

Comments, if any:

DTD is used to describe SGML instances and XML is itself an SGML instance.
The w3c schema design principles align better with CIQ req.'s/purposes..:

<quotation from w3c scema req. document>
4. Design Principles
In the design of any language, trade-offs in the solution space are
necessary. The following design principles should guide the working group in
making these trade-offs. Design principles are desirable, but not fully
measurable, characteristics.

The XML schema language shall be:

more expressive than XML DTDs;
expressed in XML;
self-describing;
usable by a wide variety of applications that employ XML;
straightforwardly usable on the Internet;
optimized for interoperability;
simple enough to implement with modest design and runtime resources;
coordinated with relevant W3C specs (XML Information Set, Links, Namespaces,
Pointers, Style and Syntax, as well as DOM, HTML, and RDF Schema).
The XML schema language specification shall:

be prepared quickly;
be precise, concise, human-readable, and illustrated with examples.

</quotation>