dita message

Subject: MEETING MINUTES -- 07 SEPT 2004 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES -- 07 SEPT 2004 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

*** Please see Action Items and Decision Summary at the end ***

** Agenda **
------------
    1. Roll call

    2. Review/approve minutes from 31 August (pending availability)

    3. Resume discussion on current issues (from last week and the
       list):
        - Comparison between DITA and S1000D--any further actions?
        - For the Exchange table model (agreed on last week):

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200408/msg00042.html,
          in particular the final bullet.  What migration issues can
          the TC help mitigate for current users?

    4. DTD cleanup
        - Alignment convention (elements, attributes, comments, etc.)
        - Testing the DTDs and Schemas

    5. Feasibility of a TC F2F?

    6. AOB?

    - Schedule reminder:
        - 17 Aug 2004
          - First major milestone -- complete
            first draft of first section and send
            out for review.
          - Begin review of 1st section.
        - 07 Sep 2004
          - Complete review/revision of 1st
            section; begin review of 2nd section.
        - 28 Sep 2004
          - Complete review/revision of 2nd
            section; begin review of 3rd section.
        - 19 Oct 2004
          - Complete review/revision of 3rd
            section; beginning of final review
        - 02 Nov 2004
          - Complete final review
        - 16 Nov 2004
          - Release 1.0 spec to OASIS

** Minutes **
-------------
    1. Roll call
        - Members: Paul Grosso, Mike Wethington, Wendy Hambleton,
          Michael Priestley, France Baril, JoAnn Hackos, Seraphim
          Larsen, Bruce Esrig, Robin Cover, Rob Frankland, Stanley
          Doherty, Sharon Veach, Jerry Smith, Don Day
        - We do have quorum (14/22)
        - Observers and Visitors: David Brainard, Erik Hennum,
          Kirsten Nothstine, Alan Houser

    2. Review/approve minutes from 31 August
       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200409/msg00000.html
        - Minutes approved by acclamation.

    3. Resume discussion on current issues (from last week and the
       list):
        - Comparison between DITA and S1000D--any further actions?
            - JoAnn -- Without Scott on the phone, how do we resolve
              this?  (Scott is the one who originated the
              discussion.)
            - Don -- Perhaps at this point we should just draft some
              comments saying that there are relationships between
              DITA and other topic-based architectures?
            - Erik -- Perhaps we should come up with a consistent
              approach to addressing relationships between DITA and
              other topic-based standards -- not just focused on
              S1000D.
            - Seraphim -- Let's include this in the "best practices"
              doc that accompanies the spec -- not in the spec
              itself.
            - Don -- Let's make this a formal recommendation (future
              agenda item?), to create a "best practices" document
              separate from the spec.  We will include the
              discussion on other topic-based standards in this
              "best practices" doc.

        - For the Exchange table model (agreed on last week):

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200408/msg00042.html,
          in particular the final bullet.  What migration issues can
          the TC help mitigate for current users?

            - The following bullet from above link has the specific
              issues:

                - "To match our [DITA-enriched] model, [the
                  Exchange] table would need:"
                    - "[To add to the table element] %univ-atts;,
                      (%select-atts; + %id-atts; + @translate
                      + @xml:lang), %global-atts; (@xtrf + @xtrc),
                      and @class, as well as the @rowheader
                      attribute and the @scale attribute."

                        - @scale -- Is there utility to keeping this
                          attribute?  Any discussion?
                            - This is a styling attribute.  It
                              indicates the font scaling of the
                              table.  When you are in a print
                              environment, it instructs the composer
                              to adjust the font size relatively.
                            - Current proposal -- To keep @scale as
                              a DITA-specific
                            - Paul Grosso: concerned that we're
                              adding a presentation attribute that
                              is just needed by IBM -- seems like an
                              extra complication that we don't need.
                            - Michael Priestley -- We don't have
                              a mechanism for adding new attributes
                              as a part of a specialization, so this
                              is something we need to include now.
                              Many customers (not just IBM) want
                              high-quality print output, and this is
                              needed to ensure high-quality
                              printable tables.
                            - Bruce Esrig from Lucent agrees.
                            - @scale is the only attribute that
                              crosses the line into presentation.
                            - JoAnn -- Have we heard from Indi about
                              this?  Nokia is doing both print and
                              online, correct?
                            - Don -- Yes, France Baril is someone we
                              should ask also.
                            - France -- She's had to find a way to
                              present her tables properly.
                            - Don -- From all this, it seems like
                              the discussion of the @scale attrib.
                              is not DITA-specific.  We need to
                              perhaps have a separate discussion
                              about presentation attributes in
                              general.
                            - Michael -- He's pessimistic about
                              finding a general presentation
                              mechanism that applies to tables.  The
                              problem is that @scale is based on the
                              content, not the semantics.
                            - Don -- Action item to explain this on
                              the list some more.

                    - "Tgroup, thead, tbody, and row would also need
                      the %univ-atts;, %global-atts;, and @class
                      values;"

                    - "Entry would need %global-atts; and @class."

                    - "[In addition, the DITA-unique <desc> element
                      would need to be added in; this element
                      enables more consistent presentation of both
                      figures and tables.]"

        - Terminology
            - Ran out of time -- Not addressed

    4. DTD cleanup
        - Alignment convention (elements, attributes, comments,
          etc.)
            - Ran out of time -- Not addressed
        - Testing the DTDs and Schemas
            - Ran out of time -- Not addressed

    5. Feasibility of a TC F2F?
            - Ran out of time -- Not addressed

    6. AOB?
            - Ran out of time -- Not addressed

** Summary of Decisions **
--------------------------
    - None

** Action Required **
---------------------
    017 Shawn Jordan -- Post to the TC list his ideas about general
        extensibility and the creation of new elements not
        necessarily descended from the Topic element. Still open
        (not an immediate deliverable -- for post-1.0).

    021 JoAnn Hackos, Michael Priestley -- Summarize the discussion
        of substitution and post to the TC list. Still pending as of
        7/20/04.

    022 Don, Michael -- Put together a "self-study" tutorial/demo,
        as per JoAnn's comments regarding the DITA sessions. Still
        pending as of 7/20/04.

    026 Michael -- See how Conref and XInclude contrast with SGML.
        Still pending as of 7/20/04.  <<< Closed as of 9/7/04.

    036 Shawn Jordan -- Investigate where to point the DITA
        namespace -- where does the URL point? Maybe an OASIS page
        that describes what DITA does, etc.   Still pending 8/17/04.

    040 Don -- Cull the past minutes and discussion list to create
        an inventory of all the things we need to close on in order
        to create the 1.0 spec.  Create a list of these items and
        post it in the Documents area of the website.  >>> This will
        be ongoing.

    042 All -- Consider need for and practicality of 2-3 day
        face-to-face meeting in late October in order to resolve
        final technical issues in advance of final editorial work.

    043 Michael Priestley -- Add a straw-man audience statement to
        the introduction.  <<< Still pending as of 9/7/04.

    046 Don? -- Incorporate review comments from today's discussion
        into the 1.0 draft (8/17/04).  <<< Don sent review comments
        to Michael, as of 9/7/04.

    050 Don Day -- Start a subcommittee to resolve the namespace
        issues.  New as of 8/31/04.  <<< Completed as of 9/7/04;
        however, it will not be a formal subcommittee, but just
        a discussion group that will bring their conclusions to the
        TC for final approval.

    051 Don Day, 9/7/04 -- Take the discussion of @scale attribute
        and related issues to the list (presentation mechanisms).

** Issues to be Resolved **
---------------------------
    005 All -- What should the scope and length of the conceptual
        introduction be?  >>> We'll get this from JoAnn.

    006 All -- Should DITA specialization mechanism be documented in
        a separate specification in order to make it easier to use
        in other XML applications that otherwise have no
        relationship to topic-based writing? >>> Ongoing.

    008 Namespace Subcommittee -- Decide namespace issues.  New as
        of 8/31/04.

    009 "Best Practices" document -- Let's put this on the agenda
        for future discussion.

    010 Relationship between DITA and other topic-based
        architectures (such as S1000D) -- Need to incorporate this
        into the "Best Practices" document.

<END>