dita message

Subject: RE: [dita] DITA 1.1 DTD error

I'd think that, if there were anyone using this attribute,
they would have noticed the bug and reported it.  In particular,
I doubt the toolkit handles longdescre properly, so there isn't
really any backward compatibility issues since such an attribute
never worked.

Also, as it stands, the XSDs now validate a different doctype
than the DTDs, as the XSD has:

    <xs:attribute name="longdescref" type="xs:string"/>

And, of course, the documatnion in the spec has longdescref,
and in my view, the spec is the normative definition of DITA,
not a particular file in the distribution.

I don't feel comfortable continuing in the vein that object's
longdescref's attribute is spelled longdescre.

I suggest that we fix the DTD now in 1.1.  Additionally, we
can do one of three things:

1.  nothing--it's a bug fix;

2.  add a comment in the DTD and a note in the spec pointing
    out that earlier distributions had a misspelling in the DTD;

3.  allow both longdescref and longdescre attributes on object
    for 1.1---deprecating longdescre and removing it in 2.0--so
    that any legacy files using the misspelling won't cause
    validation errors when used with the DTDs, but indicate
    that implementations do not need to do anything with the
    longdescre attribute (since I'm sure no implementations
    do anything with it now).

paul