dita message

Subject: URI Scheme for Specializers

Hello fellow TC members.

As a follow-on to my original note "URI scheme for TC subcommittees " (
http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200710/msg00000.html) and Jeff
Ogden's follow-up note (
http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200710/msg00042.html)

I would like to propose the following the amended design pattern that
specializers should use when creating URIs to uniquely identify schema
documents for their DITA XML Schema specializations.  The new design
pattern is as follows:

urn:oasis:names:tc:dita:spec:<specialization-family-name>
:xsd:<filename.xsd>:<version>

The new design patterns allows for a broader use beyond what I had
originally proposed in my note.  The design pattern will help anyone or any
group proposing a new specialization to the TC, not necessarily via
subcommittee, to uniquely identify their specialization or family of schema
documents that belong to a particular specialization.

For example:
URIs would replace any instance where are relative or absolute path URL
would have normally been used in a schema document as a means to identify a
schema document.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<learningSummary xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
 xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="../schemas/learningSummary.xsd"
 id="learningsummary">

would be

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<learningSummary xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
 xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation=
"urn:oasis:names:tc:dita:sc:learning:xsd:learningSummary.xsd:1.0"
 id="learningsummary">

The same would apply to include/redefine/import in the schemas documents

<!--  ================ INFO TYPES =====================  -->
  <xs:include schemaLocation=
"urn:oasis:names:tc:dita:sc:learning:xsd:learningAssessmentGrp.xsd:1.0"/>

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the TC meeting tomorrow.  I
will be available until 10AM (EST) to answer any questions you might have.

Kind regards,
Eric

Eric A. Sirois
Staff Software Developer
DB2 Universal Database - Information Development
DITA Migration and Tools Development
IBM Canada Ltd. - Toronto Software Lab
Email: esirois@ca.ibm.com
Blue Pages (Internal)

"Transparency and accessibility requirements dictate that public
information and government
transactions avoid depending on technologies that imply or impose a
specific product or
platform on businesses or citizens" - EU on XML-based office document
formats.