dita message

Subject: RE: [dita] Groups - Issue #12038 - Proposal: Acronyms and other AbbreviatedForms

Hi, Gershon:

The proposal reflects a lot of insight into abbreviated terms, The following statement, however, raises a concern about the representation for abbreviated terms:

If abbreviated term are a special case of glossary term, that argues strongly that abbreviated terms should be modeled as special glossary terms. Some of the benefits of a unified approach:

For example, if an abbreviated term is represented as a glossary term, a process that collates glossary terms will include the abbreviated terms in the collation. Otherwise, the process either has to be written to collate two kinds of elements or to preprocess the abbreviated terms into glossary terms.

Also, if I understand correctly, the proposal envisions authoring the definition of the expanded term at the first occurence of the term. Depending on topic reuse, any content topic might or might not be included in the information set. Thus, in a topic architecture, reuse of overlapping subsets of terms might be easier if the term expansions were provided separately from the content.

If we _could_ unify the representation of abbreviated and glossary terms and still meet the requirements articulated by the proposal for abbreviated terms, that would seem to be a stronger solution. Would it be appropriate to do a gap analysis on the abbrevated term proposal and the approved glossary proposal to see whether unification would be feasible?

Finally, while conref (or conkeyref if the key reference proposal is approved) might be the only way to meet the requirement for supplying expanded terms in the short run, I'd note that the deferred proposal for implicit linking has the potential to remove some of the authoring burden for associating mentions with definitions in the long run:

Hoping that's useful,

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com