dita message

Subject: RE: [dita] ITEM: Cross-references to Topicheads and Implicit Title-only Topics

Eliot wrote:

> The only thing my proposal adds is a requirement that processors

> implement chunk= semantics for topicheads.

And the DITA 1.1 Architecture Spec. has this statement that I don't think is changing in DITA 1.2:

Chunking is necessarily output transformation specific with chunked output required for some and not supported for other types of output. Chunking is also implementation specific with some implementations supporting some, but not all, chunking methods, or adding new implementation specific chunking methods to the standard methods described in this specification.

Given this, it is hard to add a requirement that processors do anything in particular with @chunk.  I guess you might say that if a processor implements chunking that it SHOULD (but is NOT REQUIRED) to chunk topichead elements in the same way that topicref and other topicref specializations that include a navtitle are chunked. But since this is implied elsewhere, it might be simpler and clearer just to be silent about topicheads and chunking.

Does this all just come back to what Michael has been saying over and over for a long time, that there should be no special treatment of topichead (or topicgroup) as elements in their own right, but all topicref and topicref specializations including topichead (and topicgroup) should be treated the same way depending on the properties associated with the element:

1.       @format=”ditamap” and @href gives map reference semantics, no addition to the output hierarchy

2.       Neither @href nor navtitle specified gives topic group semantics, no addition to the output hierarchy

3.       navtitle specified, but no @href value gives topic head semantics, adds to output hierarchy

4.       @href and possibly navtitle specified gives topic reference semantics, adds to output hierarchy

If this is what we are saying, can we just say this and not say anything specific about how topichead is related to chunking, keyref, xref, copy-to, or anything else?  It seems confusing to single out topichead and a few features for specific treatment, when we are silent about the many other combinations that are possible.

We certainly need to avoid using the words MUST or REQUIRED for things that were not requirements before.

Is the DITA 1.2 specification going to say something explicit about xrefs that reference maps or elements within a map?  I don’t think the DITA 1.1 spec. said anything about that.  And unless there was previous discussion and an approved proposal about this for DITA 1.2, I think it is pretty late in the process to add anything as strong as a requirement.  I guess you might add something that said “MAY” or possibly even “SHOULD (but is NOT REQUIRED)”.

   -Jeff