dita message

Subject: RE: [dita] Action: Eliot on lockmeta updates

Eliot,

I think what you outline in your note about @lockmeta makes sense.

The processing supplied default for @lockmeta on a topicref in a map is "yes" as you suggest in your note:

From the DITA 1.1 Architecture Spec.:

                Shared metadata elements, and the lockmeta attribute

You can associate topic metadata with a topic or branch of topics in a map. By default metadata in the

map supplements or overrides metadata in the topic. If the lockmeta attribute is set to no, then the

metadata in the map will not take precedence over the metadata in the topic, and conflicts will be

resolved in favor of the topic.

What has always been unclear to me about lockmeta is:

·         How do @lockmeta and @locktitle interact?  Particularly now that we have <navtitle> within <topicmeta>?

·         Does @lockmeta just apply to elements that are contained within topicmeta and its specializations or does it apply to other types of metadata too (to metadata attributes on the topicref tag for example)?

This note from the DITA 1.1 Architecture Spec. seems to imply that <shortdesc> isn’t special:

The map metadata also includes a short description and alternate titles, which can override their

equivalents in the content. In sum, the map can override or supplement everything about a topic except

its content (in the topic’s body element) and primary title.

      But we know that the DITA 1.1 Architecture Spec. seems to contradict itself wrt <shortdesc> in maps.

   -Jeff