dita message

Subject: First review of the DITA 1.3 spec: 2 March - 16 March 2014

DITA 1.3 specification documents

I have uploaded the draft DITA 1.3 spec to Kavi in the following versions: CHM, XHTML, and PDF. You can get the ZIP at https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=52371&wg_abbrev=dita

Please be aware of the following points:
  • The OASIS styling is not complete, nor has the cover page information been updated.
  • The number is off; the first topic is "2".
  • DITA 1.2 errata and DITA 1.3 changes are flagged in the CHM and XHMTL in brown text; the PDF does not contain any flagging.
  • The PDF contains an index,  but it is unlikely that we will ship one for DITA 1.3.

Objectives of the review

Here are the goals for this review, in prioritized order:
  1. Ensure that modified or new spec content associated with DITA 1.3 proposals has been incorporated.
  2. Review rework of attributes information in the Language Reference
    • Is there content that needs to be edited or wording that needs revision?
    • Do the new attribute groupings make sense?
  3. Ensure that we find all the places where we need to mention RELAX NG or make the wording about XML grammar files generic.
  4. Begin looking at the RFC-2119 terminology: "MUST," "MUST NOT," SHALL," "SHALL NOT, "MAY," and "MAY NOT".
If we can handle the first three items thoroughly, I think we'll have done an excellent task.

My assumption is that proposal owners will check their own proposals. However, I'll gather volunteers to handle 12 of Eliot's proposals at our next TC meeting.

Review tool

We are using Mekon's DITAweb application. (Thank you, Mekon, for hosting the application and doing development work to build the Revisions widget.)

Everyone's password is their first initial followed by their family name, for example, keberlein. I will distribute passwords separately.

For tips on using DITAweb, see https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201403/msg00014.html

--
Best,
Kris