dita message

Subject: Fwd: Please Vote for XMILE System Dynamics

Anybody want to write a similarly compelling e-mail for DITA?

Best,
Kris

Kristen James Eberlein
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Please Vote for XMILE System Dynamics
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 11:16:30 -0500
From: Steven Adler <adler1@us.ibm.com>
To: OASIS <>

Dear OASIS,

In the 1950's, an MIT Professor named Jay Forrester, created a simple icon-based vocabulary for describing how policy effects complex ecosystems. He called it System Dynamics, and in the decades since System Dynamics has helped launch the environmental movement and urban planning in the late 1960's, business strategy, resource planning, and so much more. Systems Thinking inspired Donna Meadows to write the landmark book, Limits to Growth, in 1972, which was the first to predict that unrestrained industrial production and population growth would deplete natural resources, destroy the environment, and limit human potential.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Limits_to_Growth

Some of you may have studied System Dynamics in business school. Many of you may use Systems Thinking without ever realizing where the ideas came from. That was true for me until 2011, when an IBM colleague introduced me to a Smarter Cities Simulation we built for the City of Portland. What I saw there was an incredibly complex network of formulas, interactions, and feedback loops that mapped the impact of policies in one area of city administration to 12 others. It was so fascinating and yet so incredibly remote for the average person to understand. When I dived down deep and interviewed the model designers, I discovered a nuanced world of System Dynamics model development that was far more Art than Science.

That's why I sponsored the XMILE System Dynamics Technical Committee at OASIS; to transform a highly specialized cottage industry into a repeatable, and auditable language of Math and Computer Science that everyone can learn to read and write and use and reuse. Over the past three years a small team of devoted System Dynamics professionals have worked with OASIS and our partners in the System Dynamics Society to create XMILE, which stands before you today ready for OASIS standards consideration.

On behalf of IBM and everyone that has worked to create an industry standard that can transform the world with ubiquitous Systems Thinking, I urge you to please vote YES for XMILE before December 14th.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Steve

Motto: "Do First, Think, Do it Again"