dita message

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 12 January 2021 uploaded

Submitter's message
[Apologies for the delay; I posted these yesterday, but the OASIS server was unavailable, as sometimes happens on weekends.]

ActionItems:
1. Kris will fix calendar Zoom link; it doesn't match the front page link, which is correct.
2. Robert & Eric will finish reviewing proposal 33, (copy-to)
3. Chris will get his thoughts wrt @ specialization proposal to Nancy.
4. TC chrater review group willl do a summary of comments, things we should consider wrt revising charter.
5. All TC members should look at Chet Ensign's DF template for TC charters. (note that his section 2 items are all only for brand new TCs.)

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 12 January 2021
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.OASIS-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Attendance:
Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Gershon Joseph, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schengili-Roberts, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann

Business
========

1. Roll call
Regrets:

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202101/msg00003.html (Harrison, 05 January 2021)
moved by Kris, 2nd Gershon, approved by TC

3. Announcements
none

4. Action items
[updates only, see agenda for complete list]
Frank, Dawn, Gershon, Nancy: Review charter, communicate with each other and Kris, bring back to TC in January
- Kris; action above (1 Dec.) is completed.

5. Check-in: How are people doing in this difficult time? How is your state/country doing?
[no official business discussed]
- Kris; anyone with experience working with AEM (Adobe Experience Mgr) + XML docs?
- Chris; AEM, but not AEM + XML...
- Kris; a lot of clients working with it, but they don't have much AEM experience...
***ActionItem: Kris will fix calendar Zoom link; it doesn't match the front page link, which is correct.

6. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DeadlinesDITA2.0
[updates only; see above link for complate list]
Stage two
(Kimber) Deprecate or remove copy-to attribute (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/33)
(./) 01 December: Request for early feedback
?: New proposal to reviewers (Deb, Nancy, Robert)
? 2020: Initial TC discussion
? 2020: TC vote
- Robert; didn't review it, my bad, will do it this week
- Kris; Eric also asked to be a reviewer
- Eric; I've started to look at it, not finished yet
- Kris; can you finish by EOB Friday?
- Eric; yes.
- Kris; Eliot, I'll ask next week based on what you get as comments.
- Eliot; if I get comments by Sat. morning, should be able to turn it around by next week.
***ActionItem: Robert & Eric will finish reviewing proposal 33, (copy-to)

Stage three
(Nitchie) Loosen attribute specialization rules (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/15)
(./) 25 August 2020: Early draft feedback received from all reviewers
? : Submit to reviewers
? 2020: Initial TC discussion
? 2020: Vote by TC
- Kris; did you have a chance to get Nancy a copy?
- Chris; it's in SVN/CAVI, but I need to get my head around what needs to be done with it; hope to do that next weekend.
***ActionItem: Chris will get his thoughts wrt @ specialization proposal to Nancy.

(Nitchie) Add title alts to map (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/16)
(./) 06 December 2020: Proposal to reviewers (Anderson, Eberlein, Wegmann)
? 2020: Initial TC discussion
? 2020: TC vote
- Chris; this will probably come before the other one
- Kris; I'll switch the order in the list.

7. DITA 2.0 stage two proposals
[no updates]

8. DITA 2.0 stage three proposals
[no updates]

9. TC charter
Charter: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/dita/charter.php
Info from OASIS about charters: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202101/msg00004.html
Stevens and Joseph comments: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202101/msg00005.html
Harrison comments: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202101/msg00006.html
Wegmann comments: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202101/msg00007.html

- Kris; Dawn, you're saying reviewers' comments are focusing on DITA and its benefits; you think it needs to be more on what the committee does and what it delivers?
- Gershon; the wording in charter is from when the TC started off, it has verbiage that tries to contrast with DocBook; we don't need that any more. We also don't need IBM references.
- Nancy; not sure about the IBM stuff, Robert?
- Robert; there's still a lot of the original IBM stuff in there.
- Kris; Gershon, are you saying that it shouldn't reflect history, but what it is now?
- Robert; DocBook and IBM were in there to justify its creation; now we need to justify its existence moving forward.
- Kris; exactly, in 2004, we were trying to justify this as legitimate endeavor; now it's a widely accepted standard.
- Stan; also, the original charter was for just one TC; this is one half of a pair of DITA-related TCs, this one tha the Adoption TC. A lot of the historical stuff should go over to an Adoption TC charter.
- Kris; Stan, is Adoption TC planning a look at its charter?
- Stan; next week, we'll be looking at both in tandem.
- Frank; my reaction was pretty much what Gershon described. a lot that's no longer necessary; and the role and purpose is different now, so we want to point out a different perspective now about what DITA can achieve now, in an era of mobile devices, modern document managers, etc. So for new developments where DITA has some influence; want to add context around this; Is this what DITA is about? or what TC is about? Also, there's no mention of subcommittees.
- Dawn; I agree with frank; it's missing a bullet on subcommitteess, and that's an important task. Also, there are more applications of DITA than we ever imagined; Chet's advice is to be more general.
- Kris; we do want to take Chet's advice to make it more general; so it doesn't keep us from doing things. So what is the charter? and what are our plans for long-term work? For 2021 version of the charter, we can focus on what's different from 2004: new, simple markup languages like Markdown, and we also have microcontent, which didn't exist in 2004. OTOH, we might not want to put that into charter just because it's specific. Going forward, we want to review charter annually and document our decisions somewhere. It would help us focus our work. and it's also interesting to folks outside of OASIS.
- Gershon; and people who bother reading the charter generally ordinarily already know what DITA is; if you do a web search on DITA, the charter doesn't come anywhere near the beginning of the results.
- Nancy; so we should keep specific data about DITA out of the charter; anyone coming to the charter already knows what DITA is.
- Kris; the purpose of charter is to focus on TC, what is our work, who are we, why do we exist. Should be general enough so we don't have to update it very often.
- Stan; if we remove something from the current TC charter, we should have a pointer to where that info is available.
- Dawn; I agree, should have a link.
- Stan; and I don't think there should be a problem linking to non-OASIS sources.
- Kris; Chet said the 'additional resources' section gives us option to do that. also, there's a reason there's no mention of subcommittees in charter. In OASIS, an SC is defined as informal TC working groups; they have no ability to officially create work products; anything they work on, to become 'real', has to be passed on to the TC for approval. Over the years, we've tried to nurture SCs, close inactive SCs, and have rules for governing SCs. decided that chairs of SCs needed to be voting members of the TC, but I don't think we want to go into that level of admin detail in the charter.
- Frank; how do other TCs handle this?
- Kris; is there something for Adoption TC? It's been suggested that the Adoption TC should be an SC.
- Scott; the DocBook charter mentions its Publishing SC, but only in one line; maybe we should just mention creating/decommissioning SCs?
- Kris; I want to be careful; if there are things covered in OASIS rules/bylaws, we don't want to duplicate or be more prescriptive. Maybe we should review OASIS's governing docs for TCs.
- Stan; sometimes we've created SCs to make a bridge between DITA standard and other communities, and we often ran into trouble.
- Kris; some SCs created stuff that might have been very helpful and were stopped. One big difference between 2008 and 2021; we now have new OASIS open projects, and open Github repositories, and different structural ways of working with folks outside of OASIS; we also have CNs to deliver non-spec information.
- Kris; there are a couple of things we need to do wrt this. We need to revise the charter, but as part of a larger work item. The big question is 'what is this TC?', 'what does it do?', 'what are our plans going forward?' 'how do we support adoption?', 'how do we liaise with other communities of use?', ...
- Deb; I did find general info about SCs in OASIS. Also, OASIS expects the charter to define the TC, NOT the standard.
- Kris; the pertinent OASIS doc is called 'TC process.' The OASIS board reviews and updates this pretty regularly. The reason we're doing this is that the latest version of the 'TC Process' doc mandates regular review /update of charters, and also regular re-election of TC chairs. I'd
like everyone to read/reread 'TC process' doc for next week.
- Kris; I'd like folks who've been involved so far t go back to the small group and make suggestions about changes to the charter, or do we want to continue with general discussion next week?
***ActionItem: TC charter review group will do a summary of comments and things we should consider wrt revising charter.
- Gershon; I'd rather look at the TC charter template doc that Chet provided and start filling that in, rather than modifying charter.
- Kris; so we'll start walking thru Chet's template,
***ActionItem: All TC members should look at Chet Ensign's draft template for TC charters. (note that his section 2 items are all only for brand new TCs.)

12 noon ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 12 January 2021

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison