dita message

Subject: Using dita-users to get folks to contribute examples for the spec

Iâve been posting on dita-users recently and asking folks for how they use specific elements: <choicetable> and <properties>. Iâve gotten some great feedback, and so thought that we might have some âmini-competitionsâ for folks to contribute examples. The winner would be credited directly in the spec topic: âThis example contributed by Bugs Bunny, Acme Corporation.â

I wanted to run this by OASIS before I posted to the TC list, and Iâve gotten the OK from Chet. So, what do you all think?

Best,

Kris

Kristen James Eberlein
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Owner, Eberlein Consulting LLC
kris@eberleinconsulting.com

Skype: kriseberlein; voice: +1 (919) 622-1501

From: Chet Ensign <chet.ensign@oasis-open.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 10:41 AM
To: kris eberleinconsulting.com <kris@eberleinconsulting.com>
Subject: Re: Acknowledging non-OASIS contributors in spec for contributing examples

I don't have a problem with that. It is a great idea.

On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 10:38 AM kris eberleinconsulting.com <kris@eberleinconsulting.com> wrote:

Hi, Chet.

A time-consuming part of spec development is creating good examples. Recently, Iâve been posting on an online group and asking DITA users for how they are using specific elements and for examples of their usage, if they can share them. Some of what Iâve gotten has been marvelous.

So, Iâm tempted to gamify this and kind of have a competition on the dita-users list for people to develop good examples for particular DITA elements. Could we acknowledge the folks directly in the body of the spec? For example, go to https://dita-lang.org/dita-techcomm/langRef/technicalContent/stepsection.html and scroll to the bottom of the topic, where weâd have a paragraph stating âThis example contributed by Bugs Bunny, Acme Corporation.â If we couldnât do that, weâd list people in the Acknowledgements topic.

Obviously, weâd have to have the contributions come in through dita-comment â

--

Image removed by sender.

Chet Ensign

Chief Technical Community Steward