dita message

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 11 July 2023 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItems:
1. Kris will share her bookmarks that are DITA-specific
2. Kris will try to produce a prioritzed backlog, with indication of whether we think a particular level of knowledge is required to work on each item.
3. Robert and Kris, as they go thru architectural pieces, could bring them more often to group and look at them on the call, wrt: do we need this content? should we retire it? Goal would be to identify where we'll get most value out of sustained editorial work; would that help?

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 11 July 2023
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.OASIS-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Attendance:
===========
Robert Anderson, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann, Christina Rothwell, Leroy Steinbacher

Business
========

1. Roll call
Regrets: Keith Schengili-Roberts

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202306/msg00009.html (Harrison, 27 June 2023)
moved by Kris, 2nd by Scott, approved by TC

3. Announcements
Leroy will be joining TC from Adobe.

4. How do we get DITA 2.0 out? And what else should the DITA TC do?
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202307/msg00001.html (Eberlein, 11 July 2023)
- Eliot; what are the barriers to getting 2.0 out this year? Kris has new job and can't do as much, what are other challenges?
Kris; my time, Robert's time, at this point, I'm not so swamped that I can't find 4-6 hours on spec, but that's probably my limit.
- Eliot; what remains to be done?
- Kris; do we lower our standards?
- Eliot; that's always an option
- Christina; if other TC members can help with off-loading,we'd be glad to help, but we need to understand expectations, what's required... If we can help out, we will.
- Kris; great
- Zoe; I also would like to help.
- Kris; we want to open up review pages.
- Frank; what is your bottom line on how we reviewed work?
- Kris; folks did a good job and it freed Robert and I up.
- Robert; agree
- Kris; we wouldn't have gotten thru the techcontent stuff without that.
- Christina; great
- Kris; for folks to work on spec, they need some expertise with github. getting topics in right state to be reviewed. one point of work where we're not doing so well is closing out reviews.
- Nancy; what is the work in closing out reviews?
- Robert; addressing review comments, cleaning up language is very tricky...
- Nancy; if someone sat in on your calls, could they implement your decisions?
- Kris; you had volunteered to pick up some of bookmap...
- Nancy; I'll try to ping Tammy today
- Kris; [opened review link https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA2.0TechnicalContentReviews and explained the page to Leroy and christina] If we could finish tech content, it would be a real milestone.
- Leroy; I'd like to help, but could shadow someone to start with.
- Kris; great to hear from you and Christina. Eliot, does this give a better sense, at least for techcontent.
- Eliot; so once bookmap's done, what remains from editorial standpoint?
- Kris; we have similar page to that status page for base content.
- Frank; could you share these bookmarks?
- Kris; will do
***ActionItem: Kris will share her bookmarks that are DITA-specific
- Kris; we will be ripping out most of generalization. for @s, some stuff is tightly contained. For architectural topics, a lot is unreviewed; a lot isn't ready for review. There's a small set of content on element reference side that hasn't been reviewed, e.g. indexing is ugly, and there's a lot of legacy content that hadn't been carefully thought through.
- Nancy; are there parts of base content that need basic review?
- Kris; you mean, for volunteers?
- Nancy; yes
- Robert; it's harder to work with than techcontent material, because it's not as well structured, so we can't give as much guidance. But sure, some of it might be able to be shared out...
- Eliot; I want to volunteer to help,
- Kris; I appreciate fact that folks are willing to help. Robert and I could look at these areas and see if there are some where volunteers could help. And are some of the components for architectural topics could ask for volunteers. Also, for all the specializations we pulled out of 2.0, we have to update them to work with 2.0. Eliot may be the one person who could do that rework.
- Eliot; could be...
- Scott; I could help also.
- Dawn; I can see what we've done for uor clients who are using Learning&Training; we might be able to help with that.
- Eliot; seems like we should keep pushing on with reviews, keep our momentum going on reviews, even if we can't respond to comments as quickly as we'd like.
- Kris; I think I've got mixed feelings about that - it's great to get reviews done; we often don't know about issues until we have review comments that we need to bring to TC.
- Eliot; I'm not sure it's a problem to have a time lapse between review and review completion.
- Kris; what do you think, Robert?
- Robert; agree with Eliot
- Eliot; it also might make it easier to triage things.
- Kris; a good point; also, in the table overview topic on dita maps, i thought we have to assess whether the content is appropriate for a spec, though it maybe could be in a tutorial topic. I wonder if someone would look at that content from that point of view. OTOH, wrt things like architectural topics for DITA maps and DITA processing, Robert and I can't farm that out...
- Eliot; I could take a stab at processing.
- Kris; I think you already have..
- Kris; and we want to look at action items and see if we need to let any of them go.
- Robert; I agree, but we do have to focus on rendering, whether we include it as a generated appendix; the data is there to generate it. If we add the metadata, someone else could generate the aggregate.
- Kris; what could Robert and I do to enable your help? Should we provide a list of things we could use help on?
***ActionItem: Kris will try to produce a prioritzed backlog, with indication of whether we think a particular level of knowledge is required to work on each item. Robert and Kris, as they go thru architectural pieces, could bring them more often to group and look at them on the call, wrt: do we need this content? should we retire it? Goal would be to identify where we'll get most value out of sustained editorial work; would that help?
- Eliot; yes, that would be useful.
- Kris; also, everyone should look at Jarno's spec build; it's online, e.g. almost everything that's an overview, have to think about whether the content should be retired. look at DITA maps section. we have edited and finished subjectScheme metadata maps, and chunking. anything that got modified as a result of our 2.0 reviews is identified in red, we used rev @s to annotate it.
- Kris; any other thoughts about how we can move this forward?
- Eliot; if we can keep moving forward on review and create a list of tasks, maybe we can make some progress...

11:55 am ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 11 July 2023

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison