dita message

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 5 September 2023 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItems:
1. Kris and Robert will set up a spec editors call for this week to go over back issues and set priorities.
2. Kris and Robert will pull updated bookmap material and look at changes in preparation for TC review.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 5 September 2023
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.OASIS-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Attendance:
===========
Robert Anderson, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Christina Rothwell, Leroy Steinbacher, Frank Wegmann, Bob Johnson

Business
========

1. Roll call
Regrets: Scott Hudson

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202308/msg00022.html (Harrison, 21 August 2023)
Kris moved, 2nd Leroy, approved by TC

3. Announcements
Kris asked for email to go to both her Mayo and old email for now.

4. Action items and volunteer tasks
08 November 2022:
Kris: Sketch out organization of "Changes from DITA 1.3 to DITA 2.0" topics for base spec
- Kris; Dawn went thru and put together a list of changes; my item was to organize them, but I don't expect to get to this in near future.
Robert: Devise way to generate aggregated "Rendering expectations" topic"
- Robert; nothing yet
Robert & Bill: Work on mentions of error conditions in body text; aggregated error conditions in appendix
- Robert; I've got those tagged in the source now, they'renot generated, but if Jarno does an update, that will probably change.
- Kris; in the last PDF I generated, there was something funky in aggregated normative statements; I suspect it's related to this work, either error conditions or rendering expectations.
- Robert; the only change was adding @outputlass, so it shouldn't affect anything else.
Kris: Update wording in spec about processing reltables
- Kris; this is top of list for this week, who will tag me?
- Nancy; I will on Monday if no note from you on it by Sunday.
Eliot: Look at his original e-mail about "Cascading attribute values" and consider @scope and @format. See also minutes/action items from 10 January 2023.
- Kris; is this complete?
- Eliot; I'm done, so it's in your court.
- Kris; I'll mark this completed.
Kris & Robert: Consider Eliot's latest e-mail about "Cascading attribute values" and consider where adjustments are need in regard to text and examples
- Kris; this goes high on priority list for me and Robert. Robert can we find time for spec mtg this week?
- Robert; OK
***ActionItem: Kris and Robert will have spec editors mtg this week.
Kris: Develop a DITA 2.0 backlog In progress
- Kris; for both me and Robert; remaining work is to look at areas of spec that haven't been reviewed and edited by TC, and see how to drive forward; this is pretty high priority on backlog.
Dawn: Check with Brianna on extent to which she's updated L&T for 2.0.
- Kris; she did this; I'll mark it complete.
Scott and Eliot: Start to update L&T files to work with 2.0 base.
- Kris; do you have any info from Brianna that's useful?
- Eliot; we talked but there wasn't anything useful, Scott and I worked thru the DTD version, wehave a clean one, still have the RNG version. But Scott & I both out of office next week, for an internal conference in CA.
- Kris; is this still open for Dawn?
- Eliot; no, she thought brianna was doing something related to 2.0, but she wasn't.
- Kris; so this is now in progress.
Kris and Robert: Check DITA 2.0 spec to see if 2.0 updates handled Chris P's e-mail to dita-comment
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/202308/msg00002.html (Chris Papademetrious, 07 August 2023)
- Kris; no progress on this, will add this to a list of spec editor needed updates.
Kris: Look into requesting another GitHu repo to store old Wiki content
- Kris; I haven't yet asked for a new github repo; looking for how to do it; then I'll come back here to do the process questions, will change this to in progress.
Eliot: Review DITA 2.0 draft spec and determine whether it contains guidance for the things that Dennis Troaca queried about on DITA comment
- Eliot; no progress yet.
Nancy: Update public page for the DITA TC to let people know where to find the most recent DITA 2.0 PDF
- Kris; you need something from me in order to do this, I'll get on that.
Kris: Respond to dita-comment post by Weiwu Zhang and direct them to dita-users
- Kris; have a draft for this, but I think the poster has also posted this on dita-users, which ws what we were going to suggest.
- Eliot; and I responded to that message this morning.

5. e-mails from dita-comment list
a. Key definition with key reference
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/202308/msg00003.html (Denis Troaca, 08 August 2023)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202308/msg00013.html (Bob Johnson, 09 August 2023)
For discussion after Eliot has reviewed the draft DITA 2.0 spec to determine whether it addresses the questions raised
- Kris; waiting on update from Eliot

b. OASIS website: Info on DITA 2.0 hard to find, URLs broken
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/202308/msg00004.html (Frank Ralf, 10 August 2023)
NEW: More feedback from OASIS
- Kris; I've gotten many more questions, and also heard from Chet saying we shouldn't change links, since OASIS IPR doesn't apply until spec is in formal review process; I'm thinking of adding a note explaining this and adding links specifically to non-official links that actually resolve.

6. DITA and intelligent information Request and Delivery Standard (iiRDS)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202309/msg00000.html (Eberlein forwarding e-mail from Bob Johnson, 05 September 2023)
[see his email
- Bob; iiRDS is very interested in collaborating with us to develop an integration between us and them; they're evaluating the Venn diagram of the overlap.
- Kris; we talked about this 4-5 years ago, over the years, we tried to work out how we could operate and interoperate more formally with iiRDS working group. OASIS was going to give Parsons a free membership so someone from Parsons could be a joint member. But Parsons couldn't commit to the time to be a functional DITA TC voting member. Maybe we could open a conversation to be more direct between TC and iiRDS. But wrt interoperability, it's much more about content delivery than integration of two standards. So, it had more to do with DITA-OT than with the standard itself.
- Eliot; at that time, we said that, wrt DITA metadata mechanism, you can put in whatever metadata you want to align with iiRDS metadata scheme, and you can define an implementation. But it's outside the standard, it's a content delivery issue.
- Kris; that was our position when we talked to them. Bob, do you have any sense what their venn diagram is? Are they making distinction between architecture and data processing/content delivery that supports those specializations?
- Bob; not sure, when I met with Harald, he sent me an excel spreadsheet outlining that venn diagram.
- Kris; how did you and Harald end up talking, who contacted who?
- Bob; he and my boss, Don Bridges, came into contact, and he forwarded my info to Harald, we tlked for about 1.5 hours, and I suggested he send someone to DITA-Europe in February to make contacts there.
- Kris; we may run into the same problem - their issues aren't related to actual DITA std. Robert, anyone there involved in iiRDS?
- Robert; not to my knowledge
- Kris; can you ask if anyone is aware of anyone involved with iiRDS having ever been involved in DITA? I suspect its more involved in processing and delivery, so more with DITA-OT. Does anyone on this call know of US businesses and/or orgs working on this?
- Frank; someone in Germany, at Siemens, based his business on transforming between structures based on iiRDS, but don't know if he has connection with that working group.
- Kris; but no one in US... In 2017, I looked at this and realized it was a problem with folks using a german CCMS, with its own DTDs, so it's not a pain point for US companies, who are using other CCMSs, but mostly a problem for EU companies.
- Frank; what about Precision Content, there was a presentation by Ted Wolf at Convex; are they working on that? We don't have anyone doing anything...
- Kris; atthis past Conves?
- Frank; yes, in Baltimore.
- Kris; I'll reach out to Ted and see if he'll share it with the list.
- Bob; our org has several clients looking for very personalized content based on a car VIN, to get an exact set of content for a particular vehicle, as a means of getting personalized content. that's why JANA is very interested in that now.
- Kris; JANA is most likely to work with maanufacturing. Please keep us posted on what happens here, if you see things that moight have more to do with DITA as a standard; and if there are things you can do more efficiently with DITA + iiRDS, rather than having to do with delivery.
- Bob; iiRDS basically provides a framework for doing customized schema.
- Kris; it does, but it's a question of 'do you want to replicate iiRDS in a DITA way?', or is it really just dealing with delivery output?
- Bob; I see.
- Kris; any other thoughts?
[none]
- Kris; is there a mapping between iiRDS and DITA?
- Robert; I heard back from Roger, he thinks there's a plugin, but it's behind a paywall, it's someone's consulting product.
- Kris; l think there are a couple of proprietary solutions.
- Frank; I think Tim mentioned a plugin in his preentation, but I don't know which one.

7. DITA TC wiki
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202307/msg00008.html (Eberlein, 25 July 2023)
Reaching back about options for the DITA TC
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202308/msg00008.html (Eberlein, 07 August 2023)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202308/msg00009.html (Scott McGrath, 07 August 2023)
Should we try and use another mechanism for our agenda soon?
- Kris; no response yet on the OASIS timeline about shutting down wiki. Should we try to use another mechanism for agendas soon? Best thing is to get a new github repo to store stuff, but before that, any quick and easy things we could consider?
- Nancy; 'quick and easy' things often turn out not to be...
- Kris; agree, but just hoping someone has a great idea... pls everyone think about this...

8. Volunteer spec assignments
Assignment (https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA-2.0-Backlog)
Status?
- Leroy; working on my stuff; nothing ready yet.
- Kris; Robert and I are working on stuff
- Kris; Eliot?
- Eliot; nothing yet.
- Kris; Nancy?
- Nancy; did a pull request on bookmap stuff.
***ActionItem: Kris and Robert will do a pull and review bookmap changes.

9. DITA 2.0 backlog
DITA 2.0 Backlog (https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA-2.0-Backlog)
[quick review]

10. Review U: Overview of DITA
Opening of review:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202308/msg00002.html (Eberlein, 01 August 2023)
Participation & important question
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202308/msg00010.html (Eberlein, 08 August 2023)
- Christina; i just opened stuff, looked at the review, and started going over things and thought about how to respond.
- Kris; if there are conflicts, either between reviewers, or between comments and your sense of things, easist thing to do is to bring both viewpoints to TC mtg.
- Christina; I'll start putting together a list of areas that have conflicting comments to get on agenda.
- Kris; send it to me at both emails. Robert; should you and I talk about thing before they go to TC?
- Robert; either way ok
- Kris; maybe we want to change process later, but for now, send it to TC.
- Christina; so I'll do my branch, make my edits, then do a pull request.
- Kris; after edits, do a commit, push to fork in repository; that gets it to your fork. When time is right, make a pull req.
- Christina; there have been more comments since I made my fork, so I'm getting the last comments as well.
- Kris; maybe Robert and I should look at new comments to see if there are things we want to chime in on.
- Robert; ok

12 noon ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 5 September 2023

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison