docbook-apps message

Subject: Resume markup -> docbook -> FO or directly to FO? Soliciting opinions...

Hello:

I am converting loads of proprietary XML to docbook, and came across
some resumes.

My idea was to use docbook markup wherever possible-- to keep most of
our dialect
intact to include semantically rich elements such as <project>,
<subject>, <workhistory>,
but to leverage standard docbook elements such as <variablelist>,
<para>, <address>,
<link>, <biblioentry>, etc.

In other words: diverge from docbook only when there is no equivalent
markup.
This makes it possible for me to include the docbook XSLT templates to
process the standard elements.

However, at this point, I still have two choices:

1) TWO PASS
create an XSLT template that converts my docbook+resume markup to pure
docbook XML markup, then run this through the standard docbook
transformers to yield PDF
--using a customization layer to get the resume look (i.e. no title
page, no toc, etc....)

2) ONE PASS
create an XSLT template that converts my docbook+resume markup directly
to FO,
importing some low-level docbook XSLT transformers wherever possible.

I am interested hearing opinions on this.  How have you handled a
situation like the above?
Can anyone identify pros or cons of either approach?

Thanks in advance!

--Craeg