docbook-apps message

Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] How to center the title vertically on the titlepage?

Hi,
This is not as easy as it seems it should be.

To center something vertically in XSL-FO, you must have a container that
defines an area as vertically big as you want to center within, and then use
the display-align="center" property to center its content vertically within
that area.

There is no default area that is the available page height, however.  I've
done something like this using a layout table and setting the fo:table-row's
height property to be the available page height.  You can either calculate
that manually, or put the calculation in the attribute value.  You take the
$page.height and subtract the $page.margin.top, $body.margin.top,
$page.margin.bottom, and $body.margin.bottom, which leaves you with the
available height on the page.

To place this table, you can override the titlepage template mechanism with
your own layout table, as described here:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/TitlePagePrint.html#TitlepageTableLayout

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net