docbook-apps message

Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: Request For Clarification: Indexterm processing in auto-index generation.

Including the section titles should be made optional, if they are included
at all.  While they provide some context for selecting a reference, we don't
use them in PDF indexes, and they clutter up the index considerably.  Once
you accept references to point destinations, the original reason for using
section titles is moot.

Using just the numbers would make the index look more similar to a standard
printed index.  In print:

Term, 3, 5, 10, 22, 104, 108, 223

In HTML:

(and I would display the square brackets to make the clickable thing a bit
bigger.  Clicking on "1" requires careful mouse positioning.).

As with a print index, if you have too many undifferentiated references for
a single term, then the author should get to work to improve both index
outputs by adding secondary elements to provide more context.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net