docbook-apps message

Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] How do you manage your catalogs ?

On 12/07/2012 10:14 AM, Kerry, Richard wrote:

> Peter,
>

> So yours is a workflow where the XML writers don't produce final
> outputs themselves.  Indeed many/most of them can't do so as they
> don't have the publishing tools.
>

> Is this the common way DocBook authoring and publishing are done ?

I'm not sure about what is most common, but in my organization all
developers have everything available for local builds, so they can
actually review the generated html and pdf while working on
documentation (and in some cases styling).

We mostly work on GNU/Linux platforms, using a variety of distributions
(Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.), for which docbook packages exist containing all
that is needed (including correct catalogs).

Note that we also use proprietary editors (such as the excellent XMLMind
XML Editor (http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/), which I find extremely
convenient for authoring. That includes its own set of stylesheets,
dtds, rngs, and likely catalogs, so provides a self-contained
environment for authoring.

FWIW,
        Stefan