docbook-apps message

Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] DocBook customisation for "generic business documents"?

Hi Frank,

On 29 Jul 2020, at 14:59, Frank Steimke <f-steimke@berger-und-steimke.de> wrote:

i think we have something similar. We use a DocBook base solution for contracts with our partners. In short:

Thank you for that detailed summary. It's very helpful to know that others are already doing the kind of thing I was envisaging.

The only drawback is the process of negotiation of contracts, since DocBook stylesheets in the standard Distribution can produce HTML or PDF, but our Partner would like to have editable Documents in MS Word. We have tested three solutions:

  1. Ask them to edit structured Documents (DocBook customization for contracts): No way. They are all IT-professionals, but working with a Document on a computer means MS Word and nothing else to them
  2. Poor mans generation of MS-Word: use standard stylesheet to generate HTML, Use the HTML import mechanism of MS Word to greate .docx. Works for most DocBook Elements. Exceptions are Footnotes, Table column width, wrong ratio in images and so on
  3. Transformation from DocBook to Open Document Format (ODF 1.2): This is possible, because we have a restricted set of DocBook Elements.

That's an interesting additional problem that hopefully I can avoid!

--
Paul Hoadley
https://logicsquad.net/