docbook-apps message

Subject: force.blank.pages 0 messes up footers

I have been using the default value, 1, for force.blank.pages but wanted to try setting it to 0 to conserve page count. It works as expected except that when a chapter starts on a verso page, the page numbers appear on the inside (binding side) of the page. Is there another stylesheet parameter that I need to set along with force.blank.pages to get page numbers to appear consistent on the outside edge of the page?

I do have double.sided set to 1. Chapters that start on a recto page have the page numbers correctly on the outside of the page.