docbook message

Subject: DOCBOOK: What am I doing wrong?

Hi all,

I hope this is the right list for this question. It's probably a dumb
question, but I can't seem to get any of my documents to list the section
numbers. For example, normally you would have something like the following:

1.  Section1
  1.1 ...
  1.2 ...
  1.3 ...
2. Section2
  2.1 ...
  2.1 ...

and so on. I can get the document to list the number of the main sections
(1. Section1, etc.) but any individual sections I create under that aren't
being listed with a 1.1 or 1.2, etc. Could someone point a complete newbie
to the right syntax for getting this accomplished? I'm using Emacs 20.7
under both Windows and Solaris with XAE installed, which I believe it uses
Saxon to transform to HTML.

Here is the syntax that I'm using:

<chapter>
    <title>...</title>