docbook message

Subject: Re: Images in Russian Definitive Guide's source are corrupted

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:
Kasun Gajasinghe <kasun.gajasinghe@gmail.com> writes:
> May be it only occurs in my machine, I don't have access to another machine
> right now to verify this. I'm in Ubuntu 10.10. I see that figures in english
> ("en") version display correctly. So, may be we could use those. But, some
> figures contains texts which needs to be translated. I'm not familiar with
> Russian though! But, I'm happy to help to fix this issue in any other
> ways. :)

I can confirm the problem, but I don't see any evidence to suggest how
it happened. I suspect the only forward course is to commit the English
figures and edit them appropriately.

+1

I've looked at the revision history, and seems this error was there from the beginning. Further, I've had a look up and understood what causes the error. The reason is explained at [1] . Then, I've compared set of English figures with the corresponding Russian figures. The conclusion is that both images are "similar" (i.e. there were no word translations), and the difference between the files is that all hex "0D" characters (CRLF) in the original file are replaced with a hex "0A" (LF).

So, yes, committing the English figures, and edit them appropriately would be the way! And, importantly, it doesn't lose any other's efforts on this!

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3330688/converting-binary-to-string-then-back-to-binary

Regards,
--Kasun

                                       Be seeing you,