docbook message

Subject: Re: [docbook] <subtitle>s in <table>s

Hi Mike,
Generally caption is used for explanatory paragraphs.  Its content model is block
elements, which differs significantly from a title.

I don't think a request for subtitle on tables has come up before.

You can put a textobject element after title and before tgroup.  That also takes block
elements like para, but could perhaps  meet your needs.  I'm not sure how the
textobject element formats, though, so that might need some customization.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net

----- Original Message -----
From: "maxwell" <maxwell@umiacs.umd.edu>
To: <docbook@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:40 PM
Subject: [docbook] <subtitle>s in <table>s

Has the possibility of having <subtitle>s on <table>s (and maybe
<figure>s) ever come up?

Currently <subtitle>s occur on a lot of elements, including <section>s,
an application where we would like to have subtitles on tables, and while I
can make a local modification to the DB5 schema and our .xsl files, this
may be something that would be more generally useful.

Or maybe I should be using the <caption> element... At the moment, it's
not clear to me how--or whether--<title> and <caption> are intended to work
together, particularly since in the XML, the <title> precedes the <tgroup>
and the <caption> follow it.  Post-processing can change this order, I
guess, but it at least makes it look as if they're not intended to work
together.

   Mike Maxwell