docbook message

Subject: DocBook Assemblies, IDs, and a proposal

Hi,

DocBook Assemblies[1] contain some great ideas how to write in a topic-
oriented approach in DocBook. The chapter deals with how to reference
resources, how to combine them, filter them, and output them. This is all
good.

I really miss some important use case: avoid double IDs.

As far as I can see, this use case isn't covered at all by DocBook Assemblies,
yet an important aspect. With the current approach it is still possible to
assemble the same topic multiple times without changing IDs. That would lead
to invalid DocBook XML.

Was this on purpose? A design decision? Are dealing with same IDs out of scope
for DocBook Assemblies?

This use case is kind of solved already: Jirka covered this with the DocBook
Transclusion[2] approach. Basically, it amends the XIncludes with further
attributes from a different DocBook namespace.

I'm wondering now, if the two approaches could be combined?

So here is my proposal: Wouldn't it make sense to allow the trans:* attributes
from the transclusion approach inside the assembly RNG schema?

Would that make sense? Do I miss something? Or should the ID fixup be part of
a post-processing step outside of assemblies?

Thanks for your ideas! :)

-----
[1] https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/5.1/ch06.html
[2] https://docbook.org/docs/transclusion/transclusion.html