docbook message

Subject: Re: [docbook] How To Write Non-Unicode Symbol?

On 26.05.23 16:12, Dave Pawson wrote:
ሴ is simplest, assumes your document is utf-8

HTH

On Fri, 26 May 2023 at 15:01, Michael Urban <urban@panix.com> wrote:

What Unicode construct has the best semantics for representing an
oddball non-Unicode character?  If I am writing a novel in which
there is a currency symbol, the Quatloo, represented by a glyph
from a custom font (say, a Q with three lines through it), how should
I write it?  <phrase role="quatloo">Q</phrase>?

It's inconsequential, since I can do whatever I please--this document
will not be exported to anyone, after all--but I'd like to get it 'right'
in some way.  So, it's just a matter of my curiosity here.

Hi,

I hope that &#x1234; was only an example. U+1234 is a valid, existing code point in Unicode, "ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE SEE". If you need a placeholder until you know the code point in your custom font, use a code point from the "private use areas", E000-F8FF, F0000-FFFFF or 100000-10FFFD.

Or define an XML entity and use it throughout your document.

<!ENTITY quatloo "#quatloo#">

and use &quatloo; within your text. At a later point in time you can replace the definition with the code point or you can search throughout your document and replace the entity by additional markup, if need be.

Klaus