docbook message

Subject: Re: [docbook] Tagging social media IDs

On 15.09.2023 17:44, Peter Flynn wrote:
In the absence of anything specific, I am temporarily using

 ÂÂ <email role="x">docbook</email>

without the "at" sign, and keeping the platform in the role attribute.

Is it worth looking at adding Yet Another Element Type (eg <social-media>) with a controlled vocabulary for a "platform" attribute? or is it too early to define how we want to store and use these addresses?

Hi Peter,

you are right that there is not yet specific support for such kind of information in DocBook.

Alternative to using <email> element is to use

<systemitem class="username">@foo@mastodon.org</systemitem>

You can also add @role attribute if you need to specify to which social platform username belongs.

Alternatively as many social platforms provide URLs that corresponds to users you can use <uri> element, e.g.

<uri type="mastodon">https://mastodon.org/@foo</uri>

But I see that this might not very handy and you will have to customize stylesheets to strip leading part of URL for presentational purposes.

Have a nice day,

					Jirka

     Professional XML and Web consulting and training services
DocBook/DITA customization, custom XSLT/XSL-FO document processing