dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] Another Inconsistency

At 07:18 AM 4/19/2004 -0400, ed.shallow@rogers.com wrote:
>Trevor,
>
>There is yet another more fundamental inconsistency in the core as it
>applies to CMS. The core protocol supports a basic CMS Sign through use of
>the SignatureType element set to urn:ietf:rfc:3369. This requires no
>extending or special profiling handling and is clearly documented.
>
>On the flip side one cannot simply pass this newly created ASN binary
>signature back in for Verification without breaking the [Optional]
>[Required] designations in the spec. That is, both InputDocuments and
>SIgntaureObject are [Required]. If the CMS signature is detached, this
>works fine since the implementation will need both to Verify.

Right.

>  If however the CMS Signature includes the signed content one has nothing
> to put in InputDocuments.

Yes, the core spec doesn't say how to handle enveloping CMS signatures.  I
think that's ok.

>This is just more fuel to make InputDocuments and SignatureObjects
>[Optional]. Basic support for CMS is still present in the core on the
>Sign, but not quite there on the Verify. Forcing profiles to entirely new
>elements in these 2 basic areas is dooming the profile to unnecessary
>compexity.
>
>     We are down to this last request ... Make both InputDocuments and
> SIgnatureObject [Optional].

Well, this is a larger proposal than we were discussing yesterday
(yesterday we were just discussing modifying <SignaturePtr>).  It has
ramifications on 4.3 Basic Processing.  I think we'll have to think about
this some more.

>  An InputDocument can contain a signature, and a signature can carry the
> signed document. Both are very common in both XMLDSIG and CMS. And in
> single document or signature scenarios when one is present, the other is
> redundant. I vote this needs fixing.

The redundancy doesn't bother me much - adding special-cases to eliminate
it seems like a cure worse than the disease, imho.

Trevor