dss message

Subject: RE: ResponseBaseType and profiles

Carlos,

I think that we are in general agreement.  You may be right that the asynch profile is different from the others.

Juan Carlos - perhaps you could add "baseline profiles" to the list of work items.

Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: Carlos Gonzalez-Cadenas [mailto:carlos@gonzalez.name]
Sent: 12 March 2007 14:49
To: Pope, Nick
Cc: Juan Carlos Cruellas; dss@lists.oasis-open.org

Nick,

Agree with the different profiles for signing / verification.

Regarding the "abstract profiles", my understanding of an "abstract profile" is that it's one that cannot be directly implemented (but can be further profiled in a concrete(implementable) profile). The AdES abstract profile is a good example for that,  further profiled by the concrete profiles XAdES and CAdES.

In contrast, the asynchronous profile is another kind of thing, because it's not intended to be a "standalone profile", but an orthogonal feature  (orthogonal to a "standalone profile") that customizes the behavior of the "standalone profile" (in this case allowing the response to be deferred in an asynchronous way). Note that even the invocation method is different (the asynchronous profile is never expected to be used via the Profile attribute of the request, but instead with the dss:AdditionalProfiles). I think that explicitly differentiating these two things can bring a lot of clarity to this issue.

Regarding the optional inputs / outputs location, I agree that maybe it's better to have them in the core (for a cleaner reusability model for profiles). In this way, the baseline profiles don't extend, but select what kind of contents and what kind of optional inputs / outputs can be used in this profile.

Best regards,

Carlos