emergency message

Subject: RE: [emergency] Agenda: 7/29 Call

Are you actually requiring reference implementations or sample
implementations?

Reference implementations are to be avoided as they narrow the
implementation options
by specification and that inhibits and in some cases, prohibits competition
and
innovation.  Sample implementations prove the implementability of the
specification,
can result in available runtime libraries, etc., but have no normative
impact.
That is the direction taken by most efforts I am aware of.  Reference
implementations
are usually scrupulously avoided as they can be viewed, quite correctly, as
using
the specification process to legislate the implementation, thus quickly,
vendor
lock-in.

I believe the public safety industry would reject the specification on that
basis.

len bullard
intergraph public safety

From: emtc@nc.rr.com [mailto:emtc@nc.rr.com]

2. CAP Reference Implementations: identify who, from what companies, will be
working together to define this. Group needs to try and put together plan by
end of week, if possible, and start coordinating efforts next week. As Rex
pointed out in his email
(http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/emergency/200307/msg00020.html), we
still have some hoops to jump through that takes time.