legalxml-courtfiling message

Subject: Conference Call Followup

On the last LegalXML Conference Call, we discussed the email I sent
detailing concerns I have about the network design for EFiling systems.

It is not my desire that the diagram I sent be formally accepted as the
only way to implement.  I provided that document as a overview of
roadblocks that will exist, that must exist, to prevent the compromise
of court data/images and block the Internet world from getting in.

EFiling systems just need to be designed around normal Firewall and
Network Security rules.  For example, most company's do not allow
incoming FTP from the outside.  If someone designs a standard saying
that a process will FTP data into a server inside the court's firewall,
the standard will not be implemented.  The implementation of the
standard would need to be set up to initiate the FTP from inside the
Firewall, or, allow FTP to a server outside the court's Firewall,
waiting to be pulled inside the firewall from a process on the inside.

Also, to prevent any CPU impact on internal Production systems, or open
the door for Denial of Service or virus attacks, or any of the many
attacks from the Internet today, CIOs and Network Security staff will
not allow any direct outside access into any server inside the court's
network, nor real-time access to CMS systems even for queries. Rather,
all incoming access will need to be handled by servers outside the
Firewall.

As far as further discussion at the next Face To Face, I think the
group just needs to agree that Internet Network Security needs to be
taken into consideration when designing access to anything inside the
court's network by any EFSP or outside entity.  Assuming that any
outside entity will have full access to any court data/images inside the
court's firewalls may cause problems at implementation.

Allen Jensen
Orange County Superior Court
Internet Development / EFiling
949.472.6946  Tel.
714.647.4805  Fax

All statements contained herein are the
statements of the individual user and do
not constitute or express the official opinion
of the Orange County Superior Court.  In
addition, any statement contained herein
should not be taken as official legal advice
or ruling.