office message

Subject: Re: Open Office TC: Namespace URN and MIME types

Michael:

> the Open Office schema will make use of XML namespaces. Since an office
> document contains different types of content simultaneously, the schema
> defines multiple namespace names, for instance one for common content,
> one for text content, one for table content, etc.
>
> The Open Office TC agreed that the namepsace names should be URNs as
> described in RFC 3121. Am I right that the namespace URNs for the first
> version of our schema (called 1.0) have to be as follows?
>
> urn:oasis:names:tc:openoffice:xmlns:office:1.0
> urn:oasis:names:tc:openoffice:xmlns:text:1.0
> urn:oasis:names:tc:openoffice:xmlns:table:1.0
> etc.

That appears to be correct.

> In case the Open Office schema and specification would become an OASIS
> specification, could we continue to use these URNs, or would we have to
> switch to an URN starting with "urn:oasis:names:specification:"?

Given that we have no mechanism for resolving either of these, I don't
see any need to use the "specification" branch. It would probably only
serve to confuse things.

> The TC further agreed to specify MIME types for Open Office documents.
> Our proposal is to use the following MIME types:
>
> application/vnd.oasis.openoffice.<subtype>
>
> (respectively application/x-vnd.oasis.openoffice.<subtype> until the
> registration of the MIME types has been accepted), where subtype is one
> of "text", "spreadsheet", "presentation", "drawing" or "chart",
> dependent of the prefered type of application that should be used to
> edit the document. Do you agree to use these MIME types?
>
> We further would like to register these MIME types at IANA. Is this
> something that the OASIS staff would have to do, or is a TC allowed to
> do this itself?

I would guess that the application should be submitted by OASIS, but as
you know a lot more about this than I perhaps you should put the
application together for me to send in, just as Norm did for the RFC 3121.

-Karl

> Thanks in advance for answering our questions.
>
> Best regards
>
> Michael

Karl F. Best
Vice President, OASIS
office  +1 978.667.5115 x206     mobile +1 978.761.1648
karl.best@oasis-open.org      http://www.oasis-open.org