office message

Subject: Re: [office] Proposed TC Meeting Agenda Items

On Jan 16, 2006, at 11:22 AM, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

> I'd like to suggest two agenda item for us to queue up for discussion
> at a future TC call.
>
> 1) Proposal to create additional Subcommittees
>
> With the increased TC size (now 16 voting members) we should probably
> be more protective of how we use our time during the weekly TC call.
>  Personally, I'm not sure that we have sufficient time during these
> calls to examine technical issues related to metadata, etc., to the
> depth these areas rightfully deserve.

Agreed.

> I'd propose that we think of the TC call as primarily a meeting to
> propose and coordinate direction, and to review technical proposals.
>  But we should make more use of Subcommittees to develop debate
> specification areas to the point where the consensus of subject matter
> experts has been reached.  Then have these Subcommittees report back
> their recommendations to the full TC for review.

Also agreed.

> We're doing this with Accessibility today.  I think Metadata and
> Spreadsheet Formulas would be two other obvious candidates for such an
> approach.

I'm ready to get to work on a full metadata proposal, so however we do
that, I'm on board. I'd rather just do the full proposal and bring it
to the committee than debate it piecemeal. I can only guess the
spreadsheet formula people would feel the same.

> A strawman proposal:
>
> a) Accessibility Subcommittee completes its examination of ODF 1.0 and
> reports out findings and recommendations
> b) TC issues ODF 1.01 specification with errata and Accessibility
> corrections, but no other new capabilities.  In other words, we agree
> to "fast track" any accessibility requirements.
> c) Subcommittee formed to develop and propose further support for
> Metadata and Spreadsheet Formulas.
> d) ODF 1.1 draft released with enhanced metadata, spreadsheet
> formulas, and whatever other new features the TC may propose
> e) Compliance Subcommittee formed to propose ways to define compliance
> and recommend and perhaps develop a means to verify compliance of
> ODF-supporting applications

Looks good to me. I'd just add for the record that d ought to include
the new citation coding approved late-2004.

Bruce