office message

Subject: Re: [office] Fwd: [odf-devel] ODF & ITS

Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2006, at 10:55 AM, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>
>>> My personal opinion is this is outside the scope of ODF. It seems to
>>> me their use cases are a) schemas, and b) non-GUI document markup,
>>> particularly DocBook; e.g. not GUI-based formats.
>>>
>> While I tend to agree that their goal is outside the scope of ODF, is
>> there a use case for putting in a hook where this sort of "metadata"
>> could be included?
>

> Internationalizing metadata is one thing, for which there is already
> support in RDF in any case.  So in that case, sure.
>
> But I think internationalizing text content is another thing, and
> IMHO, we have bigger things to worry about.

Certainly, but I saw it as "indicating" the data to be
internationalized/localized and not as actually prescribing the results
of the operation.

My impression is that internationalization/localization is a concern for
a growing number of vendors.

If we can include support for that with little effort it seems like it
would be a plus for ODF.

Not a driving issue but if some mechanism we develop would support it, I
don't see any reason to not claim it.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--