office message

Subject: Re: [office] Bi-directional text.

Lars Oppermann wrote:
> You can have LTR text in a RTL paragraph by using left-to-right-mark and
> right-to-left-mark or RTL/LTR-embedding unicode characters in the text.

What part of the spec specifies this? I just did a search and there
aren't any instances of the strings "right-to-left" or "left-to-right"
on the spec. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by RTL-embedding
unicode. I understand that unicode alone is not supposed to tell you teh
writing direction. Not long ago I and others got an email from Jonathan
Ben Avraham, from the Israel delegation at ISO. In brief, he said that
there needs to be an attribute for writing direction and that character
encoding is no good. I found a copy of his email:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.region.israel.ivrix.discuss/1205

> I can see, how the same can be done with direction-attributes for
> span-elements. Nevertheless, the current solution works and I am not
> aware of any use-cases not covered by it. Do you know of any?

Jonathan's email says that character encoding is not enough (I don't
know if what you described is character encoding). I can't really say if
the present situation is enough, because I can't find the portions of
the spec that you are referring to.

I notice that when ODF was approved at ISO a lot of comments were about
insufficient Bidi support. Do you think this is because the ISO members
didn't realize which parts of the spec gave proper bidi support?

Best,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org