office message

Subject: Accessibility Evaluation of the OpenDocument v1.0 specification

Greetings,

As set forth in the Statement of purpose of the Accessibility
Subcommittee of the OASIS ODF Technical Committee, the Accessibility
Subcommittee submits their report of the outcome of their accessibility
evaluation of the OpenDocument v1.0 specification.  Our report is
attached, in ODF, PDF, and XHTML formats.

Here is our Executive Summary:

  The ODF Accessibility Subcommittee has identified 9
  accessibility issues in ODF 1.0, and proposes candidate
  solutions to them. With these changes, we believe that ODF
  will meet or exceed the accessibility support provided in
  all other office file formats as well as that specified in
  the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0.

  Furthermore, these modifications will enable ODF to support
  the authoring of DAISY digital talking books, a worldwide
  standard used by blind, low vision, learning disabled, and
  other print impaired communities.

  The recommended changes address:

    * Alternative text for non-text objects (3 recommendations)
    * Proper association of captions to captioned content
    * Encoding of pagination information
    * Preservation of table semantic structure imported from
      other file formats
    * Proper encoding of authored table header content
    * Author-defined logical navigation of page objects in
      presentations
    * Provision of alternative text hints for hyperlinks

  Furthermore, we request that the appropriate text be added to
  the ODF specification to indicate how this accessibility meta
  data is mapped by the authoring tool to a platform accessibility
  API as well as their accessibility applicability in the
  specification.

  To fully address the needs of people with disabilities in using
  ODF, an ODF application must meet a number of accessibility
  requirements as well.  ODF application developers should be
  provided with implementation guidelines to meet these
  requirements.

It is the intention of this subcommittee to continue working, now with
our focus on the new goal of defining and delivering improvements to the
efficiency and usability of ODF by people with disabilities that goes
beyond the current state of the art.  These improvements include:
effective blind access to slide presentations; partnering with the W3C
to tackle SVG graphics accessibility; better access to graphs and
charts; and improved navigation models for tabular data.  We look
forward to delivering to the technical committee our thoughts and
recommendations in these areas for consideration in future versions of
the ODF specification.

On behalf of the OASIS ODF Accessibility Subcommittee,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

odf11requirements052606b.odt