office message

Subject: Re: [office] ISO/IEC 26300

James,

James Bryce Clark wrote:
>   As you may know, ISO has changed the visible status of OpenDocument
> v1 as approved (ISO/IEC 26300) to correctly reflect its International
> Status standard, "60.00" in its harmonized stage coding.  This can be
> seen by searching for "26300" in the ISO search function, after
> selecting "Search options > ISO number" and "Items to show > Both", at
> http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueListPage.CatalogueList?&scopelist=ALL.
[...]
>    Likely our next topic, regarding ISO/IEC JTC1, will be what to
> advise them regarding v1.1 (which you've completed and are balloting
> now, congratulations) and v1.x/2.0.  We've indicated that we plan to
> bring back appropriately stable revisions to JTC1.  So the question
> will be which next version is "appropriately stable."  Based on
> preliminary chats with several of you, it's my understanding is that
> v1.1 is unlikely to be suggested for resubmission.
We have discussed this in the TC:

The OASIS OpenDocument Technical Committee (TC) considers the
OpenDocument v1.1 specification to be a minor update to the ISO/IEC
26300/OpenDocument v1.0 OASIS standard. Compared to the OpenDocument
v1.0 specification, the OpenDocument v1.1 specification contains a
couple of accessibility-related enhancements, error corrections and
clarifications, and very few other minor enhancements. OpenDocument v1.1
currently has the status of a Committee Specification, and the
OpenDocument TC intends to submit it to the membership of OASIS for
consideration as an OASIS Standard in December 2006.

The OASIS OpenDocument TC is already working on a follow-up OpenDocument
specification to OpenDocument v1.1 (called OpenDocument v1.2 here), that
will include substantial new features, like meta data enhancements, a
formula specification and multiple other new features. It will further
include all OpenDocument v1.1 enhancements.

It is expected that the OpenDocument v1.2 specification will be
completed mid 2007 on the Technical Committee level. For this reason,
the OASIS OpenDocument TC recommends to not re-submit the OpenDocument
v1.1 specification to ISO when it got approved as an OASIS Standard,
because this would lead to the situation where a new OpenDocument
specification is already available before the OpenDocument v1.1
specification may get approved as an ISO standard.

The OpenDocument TC will recommend submission of OpenDocument v1.2 to
ISO when it is approved as an OASIS standard. The OpenDocument TC will
submit OpenDocument v1.2 to the membership of OASIS for consideration as
an OASIS Standard in 2007.

Best regards

Michael Brauer

OASIS OpenDocument TC chair