office message

Subject: Re: Splitting View and Model

Hi Elias,

Elias Torres wrote:
> Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM wrote on 12/19/2006 09:39:29 AM:
>
>>> A couple problems I see with moving them both is how do you find the
>>> metadata that has it.

>>>       ###localized date###
>>>
>>> First, there are many meta RDF/XML files. We would have to search them
> all
>>> on every edit of the date.
>> No, you don't have to. Office applications have the concept of fields. A
> field
>> is the visualization of data which may come from various sources.
>
> Cool.
>
>> Office applications
>> update these fields automatically or on request. So, if you model the
> above as
>> <text:meta xml:id="foo">
>>    ###localized data###
>> </text:meta>
>>
>> or similar, then the office application may request the localized
>> representation from the
>> component that manages the meta data, or it may request the data,
>> and may prepare the
>> localized date itself. This actually has to happen regardless
>> whether the metadata is in
>> the content or separate.
>
> Nice.
>
>> What is not clear to me actually is the semantic of your example. Is
>> the is the xsd-date
>> 2005-08-01 meta data about the ###localized data### in the content?
>>
>> Or is ###localized data### the visual representation of the xsd-date
>> 2005-08-01 which is
>> meta data about some other subject?
>
> This snippet:

> content="2005-08-01">
>        August 1, 2005
>
> translates to:
>
>       <rdf:Description rdf:about="foo">
>             <dc:date rdf:datatype="xsd:date">2005-08-01</dc:date>
>       </rdf:Description>
>
> In other words, the latter of your answers. The ###localized data### is
> either the visual representation (in a read-only field environment) or the
> "hand-edited" version of the actual value which is in the content
> attribute. RDFa designed content for this specific purpose.
>
> Also you asked about xsd-date being metadata about some other subject,
> definitely not. It's the object of the triple created by the property
> attribute with subject <foo>.

It's maybe a stupid question, but why can't you use the date field described in section
6.2.1,
which inserts a date into a document, instead of modeling this with metadata?

Independent of that, what are the benefits of knowing that the string ###localized data###
string is date 2005-08-01 if that date is not related to any other information?

I would understand that example if the date would be a metadata of some other subject
(let's say a camera purchase). But in this case, wouldn't it be more appropriate to keep
all the data about the camera purchase in one place, and to reference them from the content?

> Regards,
>
> -Elias
>

>> Michael

Michael