office message

Subject: Re: [office] change to the existing proposal [was: Re: [office]Critical problem]

Florian Reuter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks Oliver. I will now take some time to understand your new proposal.
>
> Just two guesses:
> * by introducing a text:list-id on text:list there is no need for list-override any longer. Thus your proposal doesn't
> reflect a "compromise" any more.
> * by introducing a text:list-id on text:list you made a change which harms backward compatibility.
>
> Just my two cents for now. Please tell me if thats wrong. However I will try to justify these statements myself.
>
> I'll follow up on this when I'm confident I understood the new proposal.

First, I didn't propose to introduce text:list-id to <text:list>. I
propose to introduce text:id to <text:list> as an identify for the list.

I'm still confident, that it's sensible to introduce attribute
text:style-override to <text:list-item>. Think of the use case, that you
want to apply a different list style to a list item on the second list
level. E.g.:
1. P1
1.1 P2
1.2 P3
1.C P4
1.4 P5

For this list you will get the following <text:list> structure:
<text:list style-name="L1" >
   <text:list-item><text:p>P1</text:p></text:list-item>
   <text:list>
     <text:list-item><text:p>P2</text:p></text:list-item>
     <text:list-item><text:p>P3</text:p></text:list-item>
     <text:list-item text:style-override="L2">
	<text:p>P4</text:p>
     </text:list-item>
     <text:list-item><text:p>P5</text:p></text:list-item>
   </text:list>
</text:list>

By introducing text:id and text:continue-numbering to <text:list> a new
feature is introduced to ODF - namely the feature to identify and
continue a certain list. In my view, this harms backward compatibility
as any other new feature harms the backward compatibility.

Regards, Oliver.