office message

Subject: Lists - please read

Dear TC members,

first of all I would like to ask for your apologies for this rather long
mail, but I think the complexity of this topics requires this. This mail
contains a proposal how to proceed. If you are interested in only that,
you may skip this mail until you find a heading that indicates the start
of this proposal.

As discussed in the last con call, a discussion about backward
compatibility guidelines has been started. I think this is very helpful.
We should continue this discussion, but I suggest to exclude all list
related questions from this discussion, because these guidelines have a
validity not only for lists. I will put the backward compatibility topic
on the agenda of our call for Monday. Maybe we are able to agree on
something in the call, but I think this is not essential for continuing
the list discussions.

The backwards compatibility guidelines will be helpful in our list
discussions, because they will provide the authors of the list proposals
with information what is requested by the TC (or individual TC members),
and they will provide all others with some guidelines that may have to
be considered than analyzing the proposals. However, I don't think that
the guidelines alone will be sufficient to come to an unambiguous
conclusion whether a certain proposal would be acceptable.

One other issue we have is that the two proposals we have currently are
very different in the style they are written, and in the style how they
are explained. This makes it actually very difficult to compare them
without doing a very deep analysis of the two proposals. That's
something we need to address, too. Unfortunately, we have not much time
left to come to a conclusion, and we will not have a TC call between the
2nd, and the 23th of April. For this reason, I suggest that we do not
wait until we have backward compatibility guidelines before addressing
this issue, but to work on these two tasks in parallel. More precisely,
I would like to propose the following roadmap for our discussions:

Roadmap Proposal
----------------

We reset our discussions, meaning that we assume that no proposals have
been submitted to the TC. We further continue our discussions about
backward compatibility. The authors of the list proposals are asked to
follow these discussions closely, and shall based on these discussions
decide until April, the 5th COB, whether they want to submit a proposal
to the TC.

If a TC member wants to submit a proposal, then this proposal must meet
the following formal requirements:
1. It must be submitted the the TC's document repository so that it can
be easily and unambiguously located.
2. It must contain the literal text that should be added to the
specification, and also the text that should be removed. In other words,
it must be identifiable what exactly is changed in the specification,
and what will be the resulting text if the proposals gets accepted.
3. Explanatory text must be differentiable from the proposed text for
the specification. In other words, it must be identifiable what text is
added to the specification, and what text is only explanatory.
4. Where possible, the changes should be explained by examples that show
what ODF does (or does not) allow now and how the proposal would change
that.

Proposals must be submitted to the TC until April, the 5th COB, which
means it has to be worked on them in parallel to the backward
compatibility guidelines. That's not the best situation, but I think our
schedule does not allow another solution if we want to have some buffer
time, which I think we should have.

After the proposals have been submitted, and if we get multiple
proposals, then the proposers get a chance to prepare an analysis of how
they think their proposal differs from the other proposal technically
and why. This should be a single document. The aim of this analysis
shall not be to advertise the own proposal, but to explain to the TC
members what the differences between the proposal are, and to figure out
whether the two proposals maybe could be combined, what of cause still
would be the best solution. The due date for this is Friday, April the
13th COB.

If we still have two proposals, then the proposers should get a chance
to comment the analysis. This again should be a single document. Due
date for this is Wednesday, April the 18th COB.

In the TC call at April the 23th, we may either vote on the proposal(s),
or agree to conduct an e-mail ballot. To give everyone a fair chance to
follow the discussions, a discussion of the list topic that goes beyond
the preparation of document's mentioned should be avoided.

If a TC member cannot meet one of the due date but wishes to submit a
document to the TC, then she or he should inform the TC as soon as
possible, but in any case before the due date. This information should
contain the date until the document will be submitted.

We stay with this plan and schedule/roadmap, except that the TC formally
makes some other decision.

I would like to propose that we formally agree on this procedure in our
con call on Monday.

Best regards

Michael
StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Marcel Schneider, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer