office message

Subject: Re: [office] How about an interoperability Subcommittee?

Rob,

the SC you suggest sounds like a very good idea to me, and also the idea
to make this the "next big thing" after the ODF 1.2 work is done.

Best regards

Michael

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

> At the OASIS Symposium, and on the ODF Adoption TC calls, there has been
> a good amount of talk about ODF & interoperability.  This topic arises
> in a variety of forms:
>
> 1) Interoperability among ODF implementations, both traditional
> client-based editors (OpenOffice.org, KOffice, etc.) as well as with
> nontraditional editors, e.g., Google Docs & Spreadsheets
> 2) Interoperability between ODF and other embedded markups, like MathML,
> XForms, etc.
> 3) Interoperability between ODF and other high-level document formats,
> like DocBook, DITA or UOML.
> 4) Best practices for interoperability between ODF and embeddable
> microformats like vCard or Creative Commons licensing.
> 5) Interoperability between ODF and legacy document formats from
> Microsoft, Corel, Lotus, etc.
>
> It seems to me that these topics may be "next big thing" after the ODF
> 1.2 work is done.
>
> Is there any interest among TC members in pursuing some of these topics
> in more depth in a subcommittee?
>
> Possible deliverables of the subcommittee might be a technical report on
> best practices for interoperability, as well as specific recommendations
> for accomplishing these goals.
>
> If there is any interest in this, I suggest we discuss on the list and
> develop a charter and list of deliverables.
>
> -Rob
> ___________________________
>
> Rob Weir
> Software Architect
> Workplace, Portal and Collaboration Software
> IBM Software Group
>
> email: robert_weir@us.ibm.com
> phone: 1-978-399-7122
> blog: http://www.robweir.com/blog/

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

        D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Marcel Schneider, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer