office message

Subject: Re: [office] Fwd: Where things stand on the OASIS membership issue

On 6/13/07, marbux <marbux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Beyond the Foundation position on the membership issue, the documents also
> announce the Foundation's intent to largely abandon work on ODF within the
> OASIS framework.  The Foundation has reluctantly concluded that ODF can not
> be salvaged within the OASIS framework because of big vendor hostility to
> application interoperability.
>
> So a further clarification here about the Foundation's announced expectation
> to lobby against ISO approval of ODF v. 1.2 in the form we expect it to take
> when released by OASIS: That effort would be aimed at forcing the
> improvement of ODF 1.2 with interoperability features, not at wasting all of
> your fine work, along the lines summarized in the IDABC's set of eight
> slides here, <
> http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/servlets/Doc?id=27956 >.

Clearly there are some structural issues with OASIS and with the
details of this particular case, and vendors on this TC and OASIS
itself need to make sure to keep this in mind.

But your solution here is childish and counter-productive.

On the last TC coordination call minutes, Lars listed my affiliation
as the Foundation. I really don't want my name associated with this
organization anymore. I've lost any respect I once had for its work.

Bruce