office message

Subject: Re: [office] Clarification for frame formatting propertystyle:flow-with-text

On Tue, 2007-16-10 at 11:21 +0200, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software
Engineer - Sun Microsystems wrote:

> This isn't correct - probably I'm not clear enough in my previous mails:
> - style:flow-with-text="true":
> This means "stay inside the layout environment of its anchor and if
> possible, flow with the text flow.
> E.g., Consider an object anchored at a paragraph, which is inside a
> table cell, which belongs to a table inside the body text. This object
> will not leave the area of the table cell. If the table cell is broken
> into several parts, the object can flow from the first part, which
> contains its anchor to the second part.
> - style:flow-with-text="false":
> This means "object can leave the layout environment of its anchor and
> can be positioned somewhere in the page area, where its anchor is in.
> E.g., Consider an object anchored at a paragraph, which is inside a
> table cell, which belongs to a table inside the body text. This object
> can be positioned somewhere in the page area, for example in the
> left/right page margin or at the bottom of the body text area or at the
> top of the page area.
>
> Thus, the user can decide, if she/he wants to "clip to the parent or not".

Is "clip to the parent or not" a separate property? Clearly whether to
clip or not is orthogonal to whether to flow with the text or not:

Imagine I have an object attached to the 23 word of text inside a table
cell. I may prefer any one of the following:

1) the object should appear at a certain location relative to the anchor
point inside the cell and clipped to the cell.

2) the object should appear at a certain location relative to the anchor
point inside the cell and possibly overlapping information outside the
cell.

3) the object should appear at a certain location relative to the anchor
point inside the cell with the cell enlarged to encompass the object.

4) the object should appear at a certain absolute location on the same
page as the anchor point. Of course no clipping to the table cell should
happen.

5) the object should appear at a certain location relative to the anchor
point somewhere on the same page as the anchor point.  (This may in fact
effectively be the same as #2.)

Please note I have no idea what OOo or KOffice are in fact doing.

Andreas

--
"Liberty consists less in acting according to
one's own pleasure, than in not being subject

Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences
Concordia University College of Alberta