office message

Subject: Re: [office] text:meta-field

Hi Dave,

good question :-)

The thing is that there are documents out there using this :-( Mainly these are "Description"-like fields. E.g.

Patient Name: ______
Patient Number: ________
Amnamese: Bla bla bla bla
bla
bla
bla
bla
[TABLE]
bla
bla
bla

My question is: Do we want to be able to encode these document in OpenDocument?

~Florian

On 28/10/2007, Florian Reuter <freuter@novell.com> wrote:
> Hi Svante,
>
> You're right. A sequence of fields is not a solution.
>
> It can contains anything: tables, pictures, etc.

So what purpose would a table serve spread across markup boundaries?

This appears to be breaking regular markup for no apparent reason.

DaveP

> >> My request is: Can we additionally add a <text:meta-field-start/>  and a <text:meta-field-end/>?
> >>

> > For the rest, background on this conversation is here:
> >
> > <http://florianreuter.blogspot.com/2007/07/field-enhancement-proof-of-concept.html>
> >
> > So Florian has been doing some good (and really needed) work on
> > upgrading field support in OOo, and it struck me this looks like how I
> > would expect the new text:meta;field to be implemented. So I asked
> > Florian about that.
> >
> > My guess is he's using bookmarks, since there's nothing else he can
> > use AFAIK. It seems he has a use case that is not covered by
> > text:meta-field, however, which is a field which spans paragraphs.
> >
> > I would say, if we agree this is a reasonable use case, Florian's
> > proposal makes sense. I can't think of any other good way to handle
> > it. It would silly for him to have to use bookmarks for one kind of
> > generic field output, and text:meta-field for another, where they are
> > otherwise essentially the same.
> >
> What does such a paragraph crossing field may contain aside of paragraph
> content?
> I assume a sequence of text:meta-fields is not a solution for this problem?
>
> Svante

> at:

Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.