office message

Subject: Proposal for an ODF-Next Requirements SC

I'd like to bring this idea up to the list again.  I raised the idea on
the list initially on 24 July.  We discussed as well on the 28 July TC
call.

So far the only point raised has been from Warren, who questioned whether
the next version of ODF would be 2.0 or 1.3.  This is a reasonable point,
and I do not know the answer.  So I changed the proposed SC charter
language to call it "ODF-Next", which is the working name for the "next
major revision" of ODF.

(If anyone else has a better idea for a working name, please suggest it.)

Any comments/questions/concerns on this proposed subcommittee?  I'd like
to have a vote on this at the next TC call (18 August).

Thanks!

-Rob

Name: The Subcommittee will be called the "ODF-Next Requirements SC"

Statement of purpose
--------------------
As the ODF TC completes its work on ODF 1.2, it is desirable to
instantiate a parallel effort to gather requirements and define a vision
for the next major revision of the standard.

It is the purpose of the ODF-Next Requirements Subcommittee to gather
requirements, to categorize these requirements by theme, to prioritize
these requirements, and to submit a report to the ODF TC on a recommended
set of work items for the next major version of ODF, which will have the
working name of "ODF-Next".

Scope of work
-------------

In accordance with the above Purpose, the ODF-Next Requirements SC would
undertake the following activities:

To collect requirements for ODF-Next from TC members, from the OASIS ODF
Adoption TC,  from implementors, from users, from the public, and from
other stakeholders;
To ensure that all requirements collected have been formally submitted as
contributions to the ODF TC, either as TC member contributions or via the
Feedback Licence;
To categorize these comments according theme;
To prioritize the themes and the requirements within the themes;
To produce and submit to the ODF TC a report on a recommended set of work
items for ODF-Next

Deliverables
1. An ODF-Next Requirements Proposal document (target May 1st, 2009)

Manner and schedule of work