office message

Subject: Thoughts on using JIRA for ODF 1.4 and beyond

Greetings!

As I construct complete change-tracked versions from ODF 1.2 to ODF 1.3,
I've had a chance to really experience our usage of JIRA. Large chunks
of it.

Some suggestions/comments as we move forward to ODF 1.4:

Summary Field: Let's not put section numbers, etc., which are likely to
change. Use <element> name or element@attribute if you need to talk
about a particular attribute for an element. That will make tracking a
lot easier.

Personally I don't find the fix version versus affects version
distinction all the helpful. Can we agree to always use just one or the
other? If we need to target a prior version for correction, let's just
create a new issue and list it as affects that version, for example. I
think if we regularize that practice, that will help as well in terms of
not missing anything.

Make every JIRA issue an issue for one numbered section only. If the
problem is spread across several sections, let's create several JIRA
issues for it. Not one JIRA issue that spans several sections.

More to the editors than anyone but pointing to email comments imposing
another step of indirection in working on the issue. Each distinct issue
should have a separate JIRA issue and be confined to the *description*
section.

The proposal section remains *blank* until the TC agrees on a resolution
and that resolution is recorded in the proposal field, along with the
date the TC agreed upon the solution.

Any significant opposition to this process going forward for ODF 1.4? (I
persist in thinking software tracking systems are ill-adapted to
standards work but it's the tool we have at the moment.)

Hope everyone is at the start of a great weekend!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net