office message

Subject: Notes from 6 Feb. 2023 - ODF Teleconference

Greetings!

Notes from the ODF TC teleconference follow below.

Hope everyone is at the start of a great week!

Patrick

***************************

*Patrick:*  quorum - yes

*Patrick:*  agenda - change - Alfred - skipping 13th of Feb. - on holiday list

*Patrick:*  minutes 30 January 2023 - approved by consent

*Patrick:*  https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-4030

*Patrick:*  Do we need Appendix E? Yes to all the other additions but isn't saying we use unicode enought?

*Patrick:*  By way of background, Appendix E was written Unicode + 10 -15 years. Now it has been almost 30 years.

*Patrick:*  Regina - need to make the connection between unicode and the attributes in ODF

*Patrick:*  we have 3 scripts and unicode has many script types

*Patrick:*  We need to say script type is defined by OpenDocument -

*Regina Henschel:*  The Unicode standard (see [UNICODE_L]) defines for each code point a script. Open Document bundles them to the script types latin, asian and complex, see table in the description of style:script-type attribute.

*Patrick:*  in part 3 - 20.358 style:script-type

*Patrick:*  Regina suggests we start here: 20.404.1 General

*Patrick:*  bt-lr corresponds to the sidewise in CSS

*Regina Henschel:*  HTML examples of sideways-lr are onhttps://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/writing-mode.  I have checked the table orientation in HTML with an own file and Seamonkey browser. Notice that currently only Gecko based browsers support sideways-lr value of writing-mode CSS attribute.

*Regina Henschel:*  Columns are stacked bottom-to-top, origin of a table is bottom-left.

*Patrick:*  Francis - should we say sideways-lr as does CSS?

*Patrick:*  could use sideways-lr and reference the CSS candidate

*Regina Henschel:*  https://www.w3.org/TR/2019/CR-css-writing-modes-4-20190730/#block-flow

*Regina Henschel:*  * sideways-lr, see 3.2[CSS4 Writing Modes]

*Regina Henschel:*  [CSS4 Writing Modes] references thehttps://www.w3.org/TR/2019/CR-css-writing-modes-4-20190730/#block-flow

*Regina Henschel:*  * sideways-lr, see 3.2 of [CSS4 Writing Modes]

*Francis Cave:*  * sideways-lr, see 3.2 of [CSS4 Writing Modes]

*Regina Henschel:*  Note: The term character means here the user-perceived characters.

*Patrick:*  Francis - character as seen by user or glyph as used in Unicode

*Regina Henschel:*  In these contexts, the term "character" is to be interpreted to mean a text character as perceived by the user, or a glyph as defined in Unicode.

*Regina Henschel:*  https://www.unicode.org/versions/latest/

*Patrick:*  Update the Normative reference to Unicode to have no version number and Regina's URL

*Patrick:*  Regina - what happens if page cannot be resolved to a true writing mode?

*Michael Stahl:*  do we specify document defaults for anything else if it's missing in the document? i'm assuming not.

*Regina Henschel:*  In all remaining cases an implementation-dependent value is used. from 16.2

*Patrick:*  Regina would 16.2 cover this case and need not say anything else?

*Patrick:*  Michael, should be enough

*Regina Henschel:*  page: This value specifies that the writing-mode is inherited from the closest layout object in which the element is contained or from the anchor object of the element, as specified in the following sections.

*Patrick:*  in 8.7.1 - > Paragraphs formatted using specified paragraph styles

Tables, images, or objects

Text frames

*Patrick:*  Regina will make new edits and upload a new version.

*Patrick:*  Francis - on sideways-lr change - should also do sideways-rl

*Patrick:*  Feb. 20th for our next meeting!

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net