saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] FW: SAML 2.0 Authentication Request Questions

Many thanks Conor

To help answer your first point, the developer has not taken short cuts this time and given a more detailed picture of the flow.

I haven’t had any time to look at this, so I’m hoping it’s Ok to follow.

Thanks also to Tom, John, Anil, and Leif. I am sensing from you we are streeeeeetching the standard here..)

Cheers

Colin

cid:image001.png@01CD4344.0555AB30

Business rules for the above steps

NZ doesn't have the concept of unique identifier. On successful authentication the logon service issues pseudonymous reference to the service agency which is unique to the service agency. As per NZ privacy laws the agencies must not share pseudonymous references.

SAML consent can be used if each individual agency captures the consent. But in our case we would like the assertion service to have centralised consent functionality so that the individual agencies don't really need to build consent function. This means of course, interacting with the user via a browser, to ask and receive consent.

So we have revised the flow below to take account of all the steps (no short cuts).

Steps:

1.    The user initiates a transaction at the service, which requires identity and address details from attribute providers;

2.    The user is re-directed to the logon service for an authentication;

3.    The user submits the credentials.

4.    The logon service returns the SAML2.0 assertion to the service agency (SAML2.0 Artifact binding).

5.    The service agency requests (what we are calling) ‘context mapping’ STS to map the SAML2.0 authentication assertion in step 4 to the assertion service domain.

6.    The context mapping service issues encrypted an SAML assertion which contains assertion service subject confirmation domain.

7.    The service agency redirects the user to the assertion service (SAML AuthnRequest). The request contains following attributes:

    1. SAML Assertion obtained in step 6
    2. Attribute names
  1. The user will be presented with the consent page. The user provides the consent for the transaction.
  2. The assertion service retrieves identity and address details from attribute providers by SAML Authentication assertion.
  3. The assertion service creates SAML assertion with the identity and address details as attributes and returns it to the service agency

If this is nay clearer, here are our questions again...

Questions:

Couple of questions on the step 7;

1.    Can we use any element in the authentication request to pass SAML assertion to the assertion service?

2.    Can we use <AuthnContextClassRef> element to pass attribute names in the authentication request to the assertion service?

3.    Currently the logon service is built using SAML WebSSO profile and we would like to use same SAML profile for attribute assertion service as it involves the same centralised concept/capture function. So is SAML WebSSO profile the right profile for this sort of use case?

 (seeing we can’t see how we can use Attribute Query as we need to carry the actual attribute names as well).

Cheers

Colin (for Venkat)