security-services-comment message

Subject: Re: [security-services-comment] Contact Request from European Large Scale eIdentity Project STORK to SAML Technical Committee

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for taking the time to contact the OASIS Security Services Technical Committee (SSTC) to communicate your interest.  I'm Nate Klingenstein, the co-chair of the OASIS SSTC, and I've CC'ed the chair, Thomas Hardjono.

Members of the SSTC have kept a watchful eye on the progress of the STORK initiative since it was launched.  We are pleased that the EU has elected to continue the STORK project with a second phase, and delighted that SAML was the best technology.

As you know, the suite of SAML specifications includes token formats, protocol bindings, and profiles for real world use.  While the specifications as defined today offer a good basis for development, we concur that your unique use case could benefit from formal standardization of an interoperability profile.

We're certainly open to collaboration.  There are several forms a collaboration could take.

If you have already determined that the SAML specifications require further profiling to meet your needs, the STORK project could submit and iterate over a set of profiles to the OASIS SSTC for technical review and standardization.  Alternatively, if there is an official OASIS liaison organization ( http://www.oasis-open.org/liaisons ) where this work would be more visible and compelling for global governments, the OASIS SSTC could likely supply formal or informal liaisons and participants for that process.  We believe that you are most familiar with this deployment space and would support you in whichever choice you might make.

If you could please supply us with greater detail about your desired process and outcome, we can take your vision to the SSTC and move forward from there.

Thank you very much for your support of SAML,
Nate & Thomas.