security-services message

Subject: RE: new OASIS discussion list : XACML

Folks,
My first attempt to send to this to the security services mailing
list bounced due to an HP email problem. Hopefully this has now been
resolved. I apologize to those of you who receive multiple copies.
Nigel.

I do not see how to separate "an XML framework for exchanging
authentication and authorization information (SAML)" and "the
representation of access control policies as XML". It seems to me that
the later is a subset of the former.

Whilst I think it is important to have a way to represent access
control policies as XML, I do not see that separating out the latter
effort from SAML will benefit either the industry or the wider
community.  It will make coordination of the work harder and further
stretch the people working in the area. Many of the people working on
SAML would want to be involved and have much relevant technical and
business experience to offer. Conducting the efforts in parallel will
make it difficult for these people to participate in both efforts
adequately.  This increases the probability of inconsistencies between
the two efforts.

I also believe having two specifications which are closely related
will increase the probability of confusion in the minds of the
specification consumer (which one do they use for what). This is
likely to cause fragmentation which will reduce the adoption and
ultimate impact of both efforts.

I have no quarrel with the technical ideas behind the XACML
suggestion. I think it is an excellent idea and hope to
participate. However, in I my opinion the proper place for the XACML
activity to take place is within the Oasis Security Services Technical
Committee, possibly as a follow on activity.

A possible alternative would be for XACML to focus purely on the
"application of access control policies to XML documents". In which
case they could use SAML and there would be a clear demarcation of
scope. However, this would also imply waiting until SAML reaches a
certain level of stability and would require a reduction in the
current scope statement.

Nigel Edwards (Hewlett-Packard)